Copyfraud: Poisoning the public domain

Paris Hilton

Conflicted

While the author confuses the supply and demand of actual copies of rare works with some kind of fraud, he lands a fist square in the jaw of Creative Commons. So I am conflicted. Here is where I'd like to see things go, and it's as much a matter of culture as law. I'd like to see lots of content offered freely, as we see in blogs and tweets. No strings attached. No GPL, no CC, no PD badging. Basically, no bullshitake. At the same time, I'd like to see premium content (software, etc.) offered for a price with an obligation that the author step up higher than automatic registration. Right now, there is no cost to claim that something is copyright you. Maybe a nominal yearly registration fee -- the domain name system might be a good model. Just keep the GPL and CC people out of it. All they do is complicate the free flow of information that creators want to be free by convincing creators that the works would have some value if they put GPL or CC restrictions on them. 99.99999% of the time, they don't.

Paris, because she's conflicted too.

Back to the forum

Forums