"I have book in my possession with expired copyright so that it is now PD. I don't have to share it with you. If I scan it into a shareable format then that is my work and my right (copyright) to control its distribution to my profit. It doesn't change the copyright status of the original work, only of my scan."
No, your honour, you see, these 10,000 copies of a ten pound note are my work and I am fully entitled to control their distribution to my profit.
Copyright doesn't just magically appear because you copied someone else's work, although most art galleries seem to think otherwise.
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Review Vulture trails claw across Lenovo's touchy N20p Chromebook
- Adobe spies on readers: EVERY DRM page turn leaked to base over SSL