I do not disagree but...
100% in sync with you. Claiming "copyright" on material that is public domain should be punished by law.
On the subject of publishers selling public domain books though, I disagree with you. Putting together a book from public domain sources is work. Maybe only an hour of work but real work nonetheless, espacially if you do it for a collection of several thousand titles. Your claim that is costs nothing is false. That work deserves a salary. Also having a public domain text in a legible, usable edition with a table of contents, nice cover, correctly linked footnotes and so on is useful for the reader.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft