Surprisingly, the Moon is not as accurately mapped (particularly with altimetry data) as Mars.
LRO instrumentation is not related to Mars Express. MEX was actually loaded with left-over European-built instruments from the failed Soviet Mars-96 mission. Most of the high quality Mars mapping data is from the Mars Global Surveyer, which orbited for ten years and had a laser altimeter. LRO is closely related to the Mars Recon. Orbiter that is currently circling that planet.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids