"To me, words are words so I could care less."
Your brain disagrees with you on this.
Much as we may like to think that we're above/immune to being offended and can take in our stride words that derail others, its just not true. You can put people in a fMRI scanner and see different parts of their brain light up in real time in response to obscenity. Regular words light up the higher language centers primarily, obscenities also light up the emotional centers all the way down to the primitive reptilian stem. Good lay article here: http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing4.htm
And no, you are not an exception, however much you may think frequent exposure or usage has inured you. No, really you aren't.
Fascinating organ, the brain.
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- Analysis Spam and the Byzantine Empire: How Bitcoin tech REALLY works
- VIDEO Herschel Space Observatory spots galaxies merging