Re: Did I miss something here?
You missed the bit, as far as I have understood it, about YouView using native apps which are inevitably tied to the architecture of the box.
Not HTML, not Java, not Flash, not MHEG, not MHP, not HbbTV.
Compiled code (delivered via MHEG extenstions) admittedly written against a standard Linux API set (starting with DirectFB and working upwards), which each participant will presumably develop separately for their own part of the service and which potentially need to be compiled and tested for each of the many and varied* hardware platforms implementing the YouView standard.
*Raucous laughter is permitted at this point.
- Review Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Proof the pen is mightier?
- Nuke plants to rely on PDP-11 code UNTIL 2050!
- Spin doctors brazenly fiddle with tiny bits in front of the neighbours
- Game Theory Out with a bang: The Last of Us lets PS3 exit with head held high
- Flash flaw potentially makes every webcam or laptop a PEEPHOLE