Re: Dumb Question: Why not more RAM ?
"So why not just put a shed load of normal DRAM memory into the machine, and let the O/S filesystem caching kick in ?"
Because having your cache reads and writes on the same memory bus doubles the traffic, effectively halving the data throughput.
As PCIe is on the memory bus anyway, you write once to PCIe. You presumably read it off the card without involving the system bus at all.
That should, in theory, prevent the system bus becoming a bottleneck....
- Pic Mars rover 2020: Oxygen generation and 6 more amazing experiments
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs
- Review Fiat Panda Cross: 'Interesting-looking' Multipla spawn hits UK
- Analysis PEAK LANDFILL: Why tablet gloom is good news for Windows users