That is why I don't think that it's really a plasma, but is an ion beam. High voltage (and low power) ion generators have been in use for a while as air purifier/fresheners, the idea being that the ions induce chemical dissociation of nasty smelling substances in the air.
The same principle (in a directed ion beam) would damage bacteria enough to kill them.
- Elon Musk's LEAKY THRUSTER gas stalls Space Station supply run
- Windows 8.1, which you probably haven't upgraded to yet, ALREADY OBSOLETE
- FOUR DAYS: That's how long it took to crack Galaxy S5 fingerscanner
- Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
- Did a date calculation bug just cost hard-up Co-op Bank £110m?