You could argue Turing saved us from Nazis as well as inventing computer science. The U-boats basically had free reign over the atlantic before their encryption was broken. Darwin's insights remained purely theoretical until long after his death, whereas Turing helped win a war and started technology that's fundamentally transformed our lives.
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire