If you think the software in use makes any difference, you're as disillusioned as Microsoft. Most of the famous engineers there were brought up on BASIC.
If they use the Unreal editor - so what? A lot of modern games still use that engine. Are they tinkering with the engine? Are they understanding it?
The best bits of maths / computer science I've seen are tucked away in under-documented lines of the Doom and Quake source code.
If you expect the uni to upgrade EVERYTHING on its courses every year, you're mad. The *knowledge* required to make use of any modern computer science relies on no software at all but applies to them ALL. Unreal uses no more different equations or principles to manipulate a 3D transform matrix than any other.
This is the problem with modern computer science students - they think the subject has ANYTHING to do with what software you have installed on your desktop and/or how old it is. It doesn't.
- IT bloke publishes comprehensive maps of CALL CENTRE menu HELL
- Analysis Who is the mystery sixth member of LulzSec?
- Comment Congress: It's not the Glass that's scary - It's the GOOGLE
- Analysis Hey, Teflon Ballmer. Look, isn't it time? You know, time to quit?
- Murdoch Facebook gloat: You're like my $580m, 'CRAPPY' MySpace