Gatekeeper only works when "quarantine bit" set
OK people, lots of hysterics as usual but just read that apps matching the criteria below will not be checked at all by the Gatekeeper.
* Anything already on your system is grandfathered in.
* Files transferred or installed using fixed media like DVDs, USB drives, and other portable media.
* Files downloaded by applications that don’t set the quarantine bit.
* Scripts and other code that isn’t executable.
So if your favourite file download client (e.g. BitTorrent) doesn't set the quarantine bit, Apple's gatekeeper doesn't get involved at all.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Pic 7 AMAZING experiments set for Mars Rover 2020 – including oxygen generation
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs