More powers needed for the ASA
Rather than fining companies or banning adverts the ASA needs to be able to prevent companies from advertising.
1. ASA needs to offer a service funded by the advertiser to get their adverts checked in advance
2. Adverts not checked in advance that are found to be in breach of the code will result in removal of the right to advertise for that company for a period of time.
3. Repeat offences by a company result in longer bans
4. Repeat offences from ad houses result in the ad house being banned.
No fining or retrospective slaps on the wrist required.
On the plus side, it's a nice shot.
- Pic Forget the $2499 5K iMac – today we reveal Apple's most expensive computer to date
- RUMPY PUMPY: Bone says humans BONED Neanderthals 50,000 years B.C.
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Review Vulture trails claw across Lenovo's touchy N20p Chromebook