Of course screens are getting bigger and wider, so we might all have to change our ideas.
We changed over to fixed width in 2008 - to get more control over our design, IIRC (I wasn't involved in those discussion). More recently - those ads that appear outside the borders of fixed width websites - they are called "skins" - have become ubiquitous, especially on consumer sites.
Most sites are fixed width these days, rightly or wrongly. I am not aware of any sites that have changed from fixed to variable - anyone else know of any?
- Twitter: La la la, we have not heard of any NUDE JLaw, Upton SELFIES
- China: You, Microsoft. Office-Windows 'compatibility'. You have 20 days to explain
- Is that a 64-bit ARM Warrior in your pocket? No, it's MIPS64
- Apple to devs: NO slurping users' HEALTH for sale to Dark Powers
- Apple 'fesses up: Rejected from the App Store, dev? THIS is why