The article says Samsung cleared $3.06 billion in the same period - so slightly less than 25 % of Apple's admittedly fantastic results but still impressive. But above it also says $4.7 billion in the fourth quarter. I guess that refers to Samsung as a whole and the smaller sum to Samsung Electronics.
In any case it looks like Samsung is making enough money not to worry about being bought out of the market; a favourite trick used by listed companies to rid themselves of pesky competition. Presumably this has been the cue for the legal attacks.
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Game Theory The agony and ecstasy of SteamOS: WHERE ARE MY GAMES?
- Hello, police, El Reg here. Are we a bunch of terrorists now?
- Intel's Raspberry Pi rival Galileo can now run Windows
- Microsoft and HTC are M8s again: New One mobe sports WinPhone