The article says Samsung cleared $3.06 billion in the same period - so slightly less than 25 % of Apple's admittedly fantastic results but still impressive. But above it also says $4.7 billion in the fourth quarter. I guess that refers to Samsung as a whole and the smaller sum to Samsung Electronics.
In any case it looks like Samsung is making enough money not to worry about being bought out of the market; a favourite trick used by listed companies to rid themselves of pesky competition. Presumably this has been the cue for the legal attacks.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of vast BULGE FOUND ON MOON is SOLVED
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan