As a verb
As a verb, occult simply means to something is hidden by something else. You could even say an eclipse is caused by one celestial body occulting another.
The hidden knowledge thing came about because magical knowledge has to be secret, or people would know it isn't really magic ;)
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON