As a verb
As a verb, occult simply means to something is hidden by something else. You could even say an eclipse is caused by one celestial body occulting another.
The hidden knowledge thing came about because magical knowledge has to be secret, or people would know it isn't really magic ;)
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids