Time we had a watchdog with teeth...
OFCOM's remit, according to their website, includes: "...make sure that people in the UK get the best from their communications services and are protected from scams and sharp practices, while ensuring that competition can thrive,", and also: "...to further the interests of citizens and of consumers."
Orange justify their price hike based on a term buried in the fine print of their Ts & Cs, which was unpublicised and unknown to the vast majority of their customers, who believed they had agreed a fixed price for a fixed term. Sharp practice. So where are OFCOM?.
OFCOM dare to boast that we enjoy a competetive market. What planet are they on? Where is that free competetion, if Orange are allowed to put up their prices anytime, but I can't switch to another supplier until the end of the fixed term?
The "interests of citizens and consumers" demand a watchdog with the spine to stand up to these abuses, instead of bending over backwards to help their friends in Orange.
- Apple's spamtastic iBeacon retail alerts launch with Frisco FAIL
- Submerged Navy submarine successfully launches drone from missile tubes
- Cache in the Attic El Reg's contraptions confessional no.2: Tablet PC, CRT screen and more
- Pix Astroboffins spot HOT, YOUNG GIANT where she doesn't belong
- Developer unleashes bowel-shaking KILLER APP for Google Glass