I once worked with someone how said "you can't have a project here that lasts longer than 9 months". The idea was that it forced projects to be quick - otherwise they got out of date before they were delivered and cost too much,etc etc.
Could We The People mandate something similar for governments? That would stop them spending a billion quid on a pile of crap, and force them to do reasonable sized increments instead.
Either way, this will go the same was as the poll tax, passports, ID cards, the NHS computer system and countless others. Governments can't do IT (well, they can't do procurement at all, but it's most obvious in IT).
- iPad? More like iFAD: Now we know why Apple ran off to IBM
- Apple orders huge MOUNTAIN of 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're building ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Analysis Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – on PCs, slabs and mobes