My CPU turns itself off when nothing's happening (about 95% of the time, most of the time). I did download and run BOINC for a while but noticed my CPU running considerably hotter, and decided that my leccy bill was quite high enough and my office quite warm enough already.
Nerdy types running Linux on core i7/5/3 CPUs can keep an eye on their CPU states by using this tool: http://code.google.com/p/i7z/
- Review Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3
- Microsoft refuses to nip 'Windows 9' unzip lip slip
- Tesla: YES – We'll build a network of free Superchargers in Oz
- US Copyright Office rules that monkeys CAN'T claim copyright over their selfies
- True fact: 1 in 4 Brits are now TERRORISTS