I've idly wondered...
Another alternative, at least in the US, are mailbox stores, found in just about any city over 10,000 people, and already set up to handle package and mail delivery... Most of them already accept packages for their mail box customers, and if Amazon wanted to enter into an agreement with individual stores or the trade organizations (at least two), I'm sure something could be worked out for waiving the pickup fee some stores charge for Amazon. Most mailbox stores are open until 6:00 or 7:00, and at least a half day on Saturday...
I know there are mailbox stores in the UK and the rest of Europe, but I don't think they're as plentiful as in the US.
- DINO-SLAYER asteroid strike was a stroke of bad luck, say boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad
- Russia: There is a SPACECRAFT full of LIZARDS in orbit above Earth and WE control it