I've idly wondered...
Another alternative, at least in the US, are mailbox stores, found in just about any city over 10,000 people, and already set up to handle package and mail delivery... Most of them already accept packages for their mail box customers, and if Amazon wanted to enter into an agreement with individual stores or the trade organizations (at least two), I'm sure something could be worked out for waiving the pickup fee some stores charge for Amazon. Most mailbox stores are open until 6:00 or 7:00, and at least a half day on Saturday...
I know there are mailbox stores in the UK and the rest of Europe, but I don't think they're as plentiful as in the US.
- SMASH the Bash bug! Apple and Red Hat scramble for patch batches
- BENDY iPhone 6, you say? Pah, warp claims are bent out of shape: Consumer Reports
- eXpat Files 'Could we please not have naked developers running around the office BEFORE 10pm?'
- Vulture at the Wheel Renault Twingo: Small, sporty(ish), safe ... and it's a BACK-ENDER
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'