I think (and I admit I haven't checked recently) that the film was based on a short story by ACC (called The Sentinel ?) and the novel was written after/during the film was made, from the screenplay. I'm sure he had a lot of input though. So I agree with your point.
There are a number of BIG differences between the film and the book too.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft