I think (and I admit I haven't checked recently) that the film was based on a short story by ACC (called The Sentinel ?) and the novel was written after/during the film was made, from the screenplay. I'm sure he had a lot of input though. So I agree with your point.
There are a number of BIG differences between the film and the book too.
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Antique Code Show World of Warcraft then and now: From Orcs and Humans to Warlords of Draenor