I think (and I admit I haven't checked recently) that the film was based on a short story by ACC (called The Sentinel ?) and the novel was written after/during the film was made, from the screenplay. I'm sure he had a lot of input though. So I agree with your point.
There are a number of BIG differences between the film and the book too.
- Pic Mars rover 2020: Oxygen generation and 6 more amazing experiments
- Microsoft's Euro cloud darkens: US FEDS can dig into foreign servers
- Plug and PREY: Hackers reprogram USB drives to silently infect PCs
- Review Fiat Panda Cross: 'Interesting-looking' Multipla spawn hits UK
- Analysis PEAK LANDFILL: Why tablet gloom is good news for Windows users