Time Machine on a NAS box
I'm one of those cautious Mac owners who waits an inordinate time before upgrading to a new version of OS X - I prefer to let the early-adopter types take care of the bug-hunting first :-) (For us, our Mac is a working tool, so we need it... well, working. If I want to have fun tinkering with bleeding-edge OS updates, I have an Eee netbook with Arch Linux for that.)
But I digress: I noted the bit in this review about Time Machine suddenly not working with a NAS box.
I really think Apple should have made it clearer, that they've changed TM-NAS interactions in Lion. The first I heard about it was when Synology announced the beta of their DSM OS for their NAS enclosures, earlier this week. They were proud (they said) to be the first NAS company to introduce "full" support for LAN-based Time Machine backups in Lion - however, much as I liked the look of the other features in the DSM beta, if I had to install it at the same time as Lion, just to get Mac network backups to work, I think I'll hold off.
In fact, as I said above, I think I'll wait anyway. That DSM beta looks very appealing, though...
- Apple's spamtastic iBeacon retail alerts launch with Frisco FAIL
- Submerged Navy submarine successfully launches drone from missile tubes
- Pix Astroboffins spot HOT, YOUNG GIANT where she doesn't belong
- Cache in the Attic El Reg's contraptions confessional no.2: Tablet PC, CRT screen and more
- Developer unleashes bowel-shaking KILLER APP for Google Glass