"Taxes are assessed to pay for the benefits they provide. California offers Amazon no direct benefits."
Not so much. Taxes are assessed to pay for benefits for the people (AKA government), not the entity paying the tax.
"If California chooses to charge California residents for internet purchases, they need to pursue the residents, not the retailers."
Really? When you buy petrol, the government ca't charge tax via the petrol station, it needs to pursue directly?
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Apple: We'll unleash OS X Yosemite beta on the MASSES July 24
- Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network
- White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!