back to article Thumb twiddling Mozilla promises fix for privacy-biting bug

Mozilla's head of security has promised a patch for a dangerous vulnerability that's been lurking in the popular Firefox browser for more than eight months. The new urgency in fixing the jar: protocol handler comes after bloggers in recent weeks demonstrated how the vulnerability could wreak real-world havoc, including …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Mac or Windows or both?

Does the security flaw live in Mac, Windows or both?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

ps: looks like it applies to Mac?

One may wish to Tools > Add-ons > NoScript > Preferences > edit preferences as it seems quite filled already?

3. Dan Goodin (Written by Reg staff)

@Mac or Windows or both?

Anonymous Coward,

Good question. According to Mozilla, Linux, Mac and Windows versions of Firefox are vulnerable. We've updated our story to reflect this.

4. Steve Renouf
    Thumb Down

So much for the IE bashers

Oh, so Firefox isn't immune to flaws afterall........!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rapid response

So much for the much-vaunted security advantages that Firefox is supposed to possess over IE! Eight months makes M$'s monthly update schedule seem prompt. Don't get me wrong, I use Firefox in preference to IE, but I'm sick of hearing the fanbois claim that Firefox is so much more secure.

6. Ash

NoScript blocks this

It has done for the past two or three revisions.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

IE is worse

@Anonymous Coward

As I recall, IE is even worse with this kind of hard-to-fix security issue. (We're talking years here.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

firefox still better than IE

> I'm sick of hearing the fanbois claim that Firefox is so much more secure.

Well, I am not fanboy (I don't use Firefox) but, just because Firefox has bugs, it doesn't make it less secure than IE.

Firefox is much more secure than IE, even with this bug.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like