back to article Natalie Portman slaps John Galliano

Oscar winner Natalie Portman has administered a righteous shoeing to fashion designer John Galliano, who has just been given his marching orders by Christian Dior after being accused of delivering a spectacularly obnoxious anti-Semitic rant. Galliano was caught on mobile phonecam last December outside Paris café La Perle, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lansalot
    IT Angle

Astounding...

But what of Kerry Katona? And what's the latest with Jordan, Lester ???

What ???

1. Marky W
      Stop

IT Angle

She was in some Star Wars films which have beaucoup computers 'n' robots 'n' shit. Bleedin' obvious when you think about it, innit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Funny...

She doesn't look Druish.

2. Furbian
        Happy

Thanks for clearing that up...

I was about to ask about the Tech angle...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

tangential thought

I couldn't help thinking it is mighty convenient how the slurs about Assange being anti semitic (and they do seem a bit spurious to me based on what I read - although all I have to go on is what I read about what someone said they recalled of a meeting. However, that is what the allegations seem to be based on) surfaced at the same time all this is in the public eye.

Mine is the heavy one with the lead lining and Conspiracy theories 'r us badge!

3. Captain TickTock
      Boffin

It was the smartphone...

... wot dunnit

2. Sonny Jim
    WTF?

Err.....

"the Christian Dior house has decided to lay him off immediately and has begun firing procedures against him."

Err, firing procedures? What?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Joke

Why does he love Hitler and what does he have against Italian ladies?

>Err, firing procedures? What?

Better than gassing procedures, right?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Saved by the early hour

It's a good thing I'm not near a breakfast yet - it would have costed me a keyboard. Thanks :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Firing Procedures

He was shot whilst trying to escape?

3. windywoo
    IT Angle

I think I only need an icon

Obviously because it's about a fashion designer it must be an iPad2 rumour? Or because it's about Natalie Portman it's a play on the fact that she has port in her name? Yeah I can scrape the barrel too.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Or...

... because it's a Bootnote, it could have no IT angle at all.

Paris, because she's all angles.

1. Robert Hill
        Thumb Up

Bootnotes...

heh...should't Bootnotes be renamed "Editorial Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Cards"?

4. Cazzo Enorme

Mildly impressed

" ... because of the particularly odious nature of the behaviour and words ..."

That's far stronger than the usual corporate waffle that gets issued when a celebrity twunt does a silly. Now if only Chelsea Football Club could grow a pair and sack a certain gun toting idiot.

5. Ian McNee
    WTF?

Blimey!

Fashion icon turns out to be vile little wanker, never saw that coming!

1. Dan 10
      Thumb Up

Oh yes!

If I could upvote several times, I would...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Totally contradicts the values which have always been defended by Christian Dior

I can't stop thinking of Stewart Lee's 'Values of the Carphone Warehouse' routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IE0kSZmW6g

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Racist?

Sounds more like he just plain obnoxious than racist. He seems to rant at everyone equally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Ratfaced

Having also seen the video it looks very much like a case of being obnoxious. Not to be the anon'er that cried VinceCable, but this seems like it was another case of a honey trap... unless the voice of French male youth rises even higher in adolescence (prior to a intense post-18 drop) while also giggling inanely at wankered anglos.

Thankfully the media circus won't devalue or distract from actual, threatening, and reckless anti-Semitism.

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

It's obvious

Obviously Portman is an IT icon since her role in star wars?

1. dogged
      FAIL

Bootnotes.

See title.

Then get a life.

9. Stumpy
    Flame

Oh the irony...

... of course, the irony that Galiano seems to have missed is that if Hitler was oh so great, and the Third Reich had indeed won the war, he would be one of the first up against the wall (or in the showers) for being gay ...

... obnoxious twunt.

10. banjomike

...values which have always been defended by Christian Dior...

Er, this quote is from Wikipedia, from the Christian Dior page: "For the duration of World War II, Christian Dior dressed the wives of the Nazi officers and French collaborators.

1. NogginTheNog
      FAIL

Must be true

You are quoting Wikipedia there, right?? You have checked that edit didn't go up in the last 24 hours or anything?? Has happened...

Secondly, yeah yeah we can all find examples of terrible things done by previous generations of leaders of organisations still in existence: does that make those now in charge automatically guilty, or even tarred with the same brush, or holders of the same beliefs?

1. banjomike

very clever...

but the last edit of the page was on 22nd Feb, and yes, I did check BEFORE I posted.

You seem to reading a different story to the rest of us. The Dior crowd are the ones that all innocent. It is the current leadership, Chief exec Sidney Toledano, who might be hypocritical by denying what their founder, allegedly, might have done.

2. Lars Silver badge
      WTF?

But the brave

farmers did not sell milk or eggs to the Nazi and French collaborators. Shame on the Champagne producers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

what?

You didn't see that invisible asterisk at the end of the quote?

Hell, if you go back far enough, all of us (or our forefathers) were evil, bastards, or both.

4. someone called ross

WWII

Ah, but they used the previous year's fashion, imagine the embarrassment!

5. Robert E A Harvey
      Paris Hilton

No suprise

Peddlers of the superficial turn out to be shallow and foolish. No surprise there.

Oh look who's there.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Title

Correct and the SS uniform itself was a Hugo Boss design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss#History

Conversely I am given to understand the rubbish shapeless WW2 British Battledress was designed in part by a young designer one Hardy Amies

11. Mark Southee
    Joke

Firing procedures?

Perhaps they're getting Ashley Cole in?

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

When it's Natalie Portman

You don't need an IT angle!!

Paris, because if you imagine hard enough she becomes Natalie!

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Pint

Errrr...

That's going to take a lot, and I mean, rather a lot of beer. And even then...

Nope, I reckon you best just enjoy Paris for just what she is and leave Ms. Portman out of it :P

14. J 3
    Coat

Anti-semitic?

What does he have against Arabs?

1. Jason Hall

@ J 3

Personally - I'm not sure (don't really care) but here's what I thought:

Jew = Practices the Jewis Religion

Hebrew = Speaks Hebrew

Israelite = Citizen of Israel

Semite = Anyone of Semetic Group (Arabic, Hebrew, Asyrian)

So you would be correct :)

15. Riscyrich
    Coffee/keyboard

@Anonymous 18:56 GMT

LOL - I get it :-)

Big hair dryer FTW....

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Daniel Evans

Perfume Co. discusses "particularly odious nature" of comments?

I see what they did there.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what a cutie

I saw the video of Galliano, his words were quite shocking indeed.

And Natalie Portman is a cutie. Didn't know she's Jewish, don't care either. She could be any other color, too. A cutie from head to toe.

19. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Thumb Up

Natalie Portman

/respect.

20. bharq

obvious

sorry to point out the obvious - but weren't the Italians on the same side as Hitler?

1. Ebaneezer Wanktrollop
      WTF?

When they were winning

When they were losing they'd swap sides - pity they don't do the same in 6 Nations Rugby.

As for the vile, disgusting comments - there are dozens of comments here from guys drooling over another mans, heavily pregnant wife!

I don't get it really. We consider sending the military into Libya as free speech is being impaired but I can't take the piss out of the Jewish?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only Jews Buy Clothes?

Funny how you can take the piss out of an Aussie but say one anti-Jewish thing and you're a "bad person".

I'm sick to the back teeth of the super sensitivity of the Jewish community. I wonder if that's why they were targetted in the first place, so full of themselves?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Only Jews Buy Clothes?

Yeah, funny huh.

Yeah.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title?

Well, the difference is that in France at least, it is actually _illegal_ to make these sorts of comments, hence why he was arrested (albeit for only a few hours due to his celeb status).

But you can say what you want about the Aussies :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Oh Dear

Have "Aussies" been the victims of persecution for hundreds of years? Were millions of "Aussies" "targeted" then murdered by the Nazis?

I'm not Jewish but I believe they have every right to be "super sensitive."

1. Zolko Silver badge
        Thumb Down

bis repetita

@ Le Prawn : "Have Aussies been the victims of persecution for hundreds of years?"

Well, if they were, would they wonder why that is so ? If an Aussie did belong to some "group" that was persecuted throughout history all the while claming some god-sent superiority, wouldn't you tell him to first stop pretending he is some sort of god-chosen people before complaining ?

If an Aussie was insulted by a drunken guy, would he play some sort of "how shocking" role and take it to the police ?

4. Sara Bee
      FAIL

Aborigines?

Over sensitive? I don't recall Australians, unless of course you refer to aborigines as "aussies" ever being rounded up and exterminated....

Of course apart from that minor hiccup Adolf was a very nice chap

Twat

5. Patrick R
      Flame

He did not

say anything bad about Mel Gibson. Don't know what you're talking about.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Well god said, the holy people said.....

Genisis

25 And it came to pass on the third day, when they were sore, that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brethren, took each man his sword, and came upon the city boldly, and slew all the males.

Exodus 22:

23 If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry;

24 And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Exodus 32:

26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.

27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Numbers 21:

23 And Sihon would not suffer Israel to pass through his border: but Sihon gathered all his people together, and went out against Israel into the wilderness: and he came to Jahaz, and fought against Israel.

24 And Israel smote him with the edge of the sword, and possessed his land from Arnon unto Jabbok, even unto the children of Ammon: for the border of the children of Ammon was strong.

25 And Israel took all these cities: and Israel dwelt in all the cities of the Amorites, in Heshbon, and in all the villages thereof.

Numbers 31:

5 So there were delivered out of the thousands of Israel, a thousand of every tribe, twelve thousand armed for war.

6 And Moses sent them to the war, a thousand of every tribe, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the holy instruments, and the trumpets to blow in his hand.

7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males.

8 And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.

9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods.

10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire.

11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts.

12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho.

13 And Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and all the princes of the congregation, went forth to meet them without the camp.

14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Deutronomy 13:

15 Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.

Deutronomy 20:

12 And if it will make no peace with thee, but will make war against thee, then thou shalt besiege it:

13 And when the LORD thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:

14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.

15 Thus shalt thou do unto all the cities which are very far off from thee, which are not of the cities of these nations.

16 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:

17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:

Joshua 6:

20 So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.

21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 7:

20 And when the men of Ai looked behind them, they saw, and, behold, the smoke of the city ascended up to heaven, and they had no power to flee this way or that way: and the people that fled to the wilderness turned back upon the pursuers.

21 And when Joshua and all Israel saw that the ambush had taken the city, and that the smoke of the city ascended, then they turned again, and slew the men of Ai.

22 And the other issued out of the city against them; so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side: and they smote them, so that they let none of them remain or escape.

23 And the king of Ai they took alive, and brought him to Joshua.

24 And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword.

25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.

26 For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.

27 Only the cattle and the spoil of that city Israel took for a prey unto themselves, according unto the word of the LORD which he commanded Joshua.

28 And Joshua burnt Ai, and made it an heap for ever, even a desolation unto this day.

29 And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide: and as soon as the sun was down, Joshua commanded that they should take his carcase down from the tree, and cast it at the entering of the gate of the city, and raise thereon a great heap of stones, that remaineth unto this day.

Then along came Adolf Hitler - a christian, who stated, "God is with us"; and then he had put to death with the gun and the bomb and the gassing, and he killed their kings, burned their homes and cities, they killed all the men, women and children, they took all their food, cattle, crops and lands, and laid waste and took them into bondage etc., etc., etc., etc...

It seems to me that this holocausting business "In the name of god" - by the extermination of entire nations for profit, land and righteous cultural oppression; has been going on for a LONG time.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: Only Jews Buy Clothes?

You really are a prick aren't you?

8. This post has been deleted by its author

22. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Pictures or it didn't happen

Portman please not Galliano!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Now We Know

Remember the BNP membership list release? The mocking comments because they had a range of clothing?

Designer clad knuckle draggers after all.

Back on topic, has she physically punched the obnoxious prat or is it just a metaphorical slap?

24. bugalugs
    FAIL

Mussolini couldn't see sense in persecuting Jews

and put up plausible barriers to such persecution, such that the majority of Italian Jews survived the war. The Italians were dis-armed after the German take-over in 1943 and particularly in the north had no control over the activities of the SS etc. They were conscripted for labour in the Reich but to the best of my knowledge of the subject were not gassed as Italians per se. For Mr Galliano to also express love for Hitler, another long-dead demagogue, whose fixations and the environment in which they achieved primacy produced a human death-toll unimagined before and barely credible since, just scales his unilateral ignorance. If he was aFfEcTeD by C2H5OH, in vino veritas etc....

25. Jacob Lipman
    Heart

RE: People surprised at Natalie "Portman" being Jewish

She was born in Israel, and her real name is Natalie Hershlag (נטלי הרשלג‎) - she changed her name to something less bageley, supposedly to protect her family's identity and privacy.

P.S., Natalie = giggity giggity

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Hershlag to Portman

Is like changing from Rabinowicz to Katzman, on the bagel scale...

But that really is not the point - whether she is Jewish or not, what that man said was stupid and inexcusable.

This topic is closed for new posts.