back to article US trade rep bashes Baidu for 'deep linking' naughtiness

The US government has labelled Baidu - which is China's biggest search engine - a "deep linking" hub spewing out location details about where pirated content is stored online. In a report issued yesterday, BitTorrent tracker site The Pirate Bay was also added to a list of "Notorious Markets" by the US Trade Representative's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. david 63

Very useful list...

thank you. I was unaware of some of them.

2. Elmer Phud
    Pint

Thanks

"It went on to list IsoHunt, Btjunkie, Kickasstorrents and torrentz.com as major BitTorrent sites"

I knew I'd missed some.

3. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Just Semantics

I was wondering, can you be called a "Market" when you dont actually sell (or attempt to sell) something?

1. Mike Shepherd
      FAIL

"The question is, which is to be master - that's all"

"When _I_ use a word", Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less"

4. iMacThere4iAm
    FAIL

Missed a bit over there

Some notable absentees from the list... "Google" comes to mind...

As for the list, there's a few sites there I haven't come across before - must check them out!

1. frank ly

Bet me to it..

If you enter, "<film title>" torrent, into Google, you get a list of torrents carrying the film. So, why didn't this 'report' mention Google? Could it be that Google has a cosy relationship with the US government?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Let's not forget...

...Bing. All your favourite Google torrent search results in a different presentation style.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Could it be that Google has a cosy relationship with the US government?"

That would be due to the huge piles of case they hand over in tax, political contributions and briefcases.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The USTR

Now a proud RIAA/MPAA affiliate.

6. McToo
    Grenade

Hmmm....

“Piracy and counterfeiting undermine the innovation and creativity that is vital to our global competitiveness. These notorious markets not only hurt American workers and businesses, but are threats to entrepreneurs and industries around the world,” said USTR official Ron Kirk.

Replace "Piracy and counterfeiting" and "These notorious markets" with "The US Patent Office".

I won't hold my breath waiting for any announcements on that little money spinner being made fit for purpose.

7. Bryce Prewitt
    FAIL

This next decade is going to be so awesome that I can barely contain my excitement.

"'actively engaged' with its trading partners to 'seek appropriate action against counterfeiting and piracy'."

As opposed to being "actively engaged" with its trading partners to "seek appropriate ways of monetizing otherwise stale product through new and innovative distribution channels".

Can't I at least get my front door kicked in for something real, like attempting to subvert the government? Or does that not lend as much street cred as being involved in a file-sharing raid? Help me out here!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nice

Not a single mention of usenet or usenet indexers - excellent

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shush now

Shush.

9. JaitcH
    WTF?

"Baidu ... a "deep linking" hub spewing out location details about where pirated content is stored "

Just like Google and Bing.

Bloody hypocritical government.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    FAIL

Team Amurrica bombs you for IP!

"Urdu Bazaars (Pakistan): The Urdu Bazaars in Karachi and Lahore reportedly remain the main sources of pirated books in the country, though book piracy is widespread and extends beyond such bazaars."

Why doncha list Mom & Pop's copyshop then? Or maybe the local university library?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

How much did this list cost to produce?

I could produce a better list than this given an hour and £50.

Still, I'm sure it will prove to be a useful source list for n00b pirates.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like