back to article Morgan Stanley hit by same attackers that breached Google

Morgan Stanley was hit by a “very sensitive” breach to its network by the same attackers who penetrated computer systems maintained by Google and dozens of other companies, according to leaked emails reviewed by Bloomberg News. The emails came from California-based HBGary, which suffered a major compromise of its own at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    WTF?

HBgary fails again? Their rep is way down the drain

This is just another hit on the reputation of HBgary and the gullibility of IT managers of HBgary's reputed infallibility. Sounds like that technique that many of us experience - run this free anti-viru test then they try to sell you a program.

Perhaps the SEC should check up on trading emanating from China and HongKong to see if there were unusual trades following these intrusions.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HBGary

Is the laughing stock of the computer world. I would take anything they say with a very large pinch of salt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HBGary didn't "say" anything

In case you misunderstood the entire point of the article, this information was culled from the large stock of emails from the HBGary internal email system which was compromised during a strong attack by Anonymous (linked in the article).

3. doperative
    Linux

computer systems penetrated ?

What desktop computer OS are we not supposed to mention here ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

@doperative

actually you'll find a lot more linux desktops at morgan stanley than most other institutions.

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Not to mention...

...that part of the HBGary hack was performed thanks to an unpatched escalation privilege hole on a Linux box.

I am very much NOT platform-agnostic, I am even a rabid *NIX fanboy, but I can recognise a stone in my garden when I see one. That's a prerequisite when you want to avoid history repetition...

This topic is closed for new posts.