back to article Cloud gaming storms into the UK

Cloud-based gaming is again in the limelight today with the announcement that game service Gaikai has gone live in the UK for all to trial. Gaikai - which today came out of its closed beta stage - allows users to demo games in their browser without the need for a download. Just like cloud-based gaming platform OnLive, this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    FAIL

In the meantime ...

There are no available invites left, so cannot give it a whirl :(

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: In the meantime ...

If you follow the link in our article to David Perry's blog, there are several links within from which you can access the games. I don't think any invites are required. It's in open beta now. Hope that helps.

1. Bill B

Nope .. no invites left

Follow the link .. it tests your bandwidth, then says 'Congratulations, you're in; We'll let you know when more Beta Invites are in'

2. Dan 10

Obvious question

How much bandwidth do I need?

1. serviceWithASmile
      Thumb Up

about

the same as you need to stream an HD vid on youtube, I'd guess.

AFAIK, their servers do all the rendering and stream the game as something close to a video feed but with a bit more interactivity.

I'd think that even on a normal 8meg line you'd probably not notice much lag, depending on how fast their server connections are.

i say more of this sort of thing! :D

2. Tom 260
      Thumb Down

Rather a bit

Just tried the Spore link, and it recommended that I have a 10mbps connection... great, I'm out in the sticks and have 1mbps!

I still have to be convinced that latency won't be an issue for this style of gaming anyway.

3. stucs201

More than I've got.

But never mind, I'd much rather download and install a demo and see how it runs on my system than how it runs on a server anyway...

3. PaulR79
    Thumb Up

Wow..

OK with all the talk about cloud-based gaming I thought "no chance" but gave this a look after reading the article. I already own it so I picked and played the Mass Effect 2 demo. If it wasn't for the menu bar at the top (tells you connection quality, options to close game, pop-out of browser, fullscreen) and the not-quite-fullscreen aspect for my HDTV I wouldn't have known the difference. I saw no lag and it was the same experience I've had while playing normally. Great stuff!

4. ph0b0s

Still would rather download the demo

How can you test if your machine can run the game properly if you are running it on a remote computer?

Also I assume the game runs at lower quality than on a native high end machine, to save bandwidth. This would be a turn off when playing the demo as it will look rubbish. This would be a bad advertisement for the game.

But Ok if they are trying to deliver content in a different way. It will be rubbish though if this becomes the only way to get demo's. This is alreayd a large problem on the PC, with hardly any games having demos anymore. Now we get them, but they will give a bad indication of what the fully purchase game will be like. Yay, progress...

1. Gorbachov

no, not really

That's the point of streaming. The bandwith requirement is the same irrespective to game quality settings. So you buy a cheap laptop with crap graphics and play in a browser at full quality. If you have a top-notch connection. Which is a big if.

5. Phil101
    Unhappy

Manchester - Too Far From a Server

Tried to play the Spore demo but I'm too far from their servers apparently. Is this a Watford Gap issue?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

it'll never catch on

When will Gaikai be able to offer games to everyone, everywhere?

Gaikai's business model may be different than what you'd expect. We're not trying to offer a subscription-based service, so there's no expectation that everyone will be able to play from day one. Instead, we're powering demos of games on publisher, retailer, and associate sites. These demos will only be offered to users who meet the standards required for an awesome gaming experience. Users who don't meet these standards will never know they missed anything ... but they will help us understand where we need to add servers next. Over time, we'll be able to serve more and more demos to more and more users, across the world.

Yeah, sounds like a winner

7. Jon Brindley
    FAIL

Bandwidth

I have a 50mb connection with Virgin and I don't meet the criteria.

One reason might be that I'm too far from a server so my latency is too high.

Bit disappointed I can't try this though.

8. Argh

Only got sound when I tested Spore

I've tried twice. It did the tests, said everything was fine, loads the applet and all I get is the progress bar sitting there at 100% and some whooshy sound effects which I suppose might be from Spore.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

An answer

Dunno but Mass Effect 2 runs reasonably well on my ancient Dell laptop and my 10Mb Virgin line, looks like a decent service to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like