back to article SeaMicro drops 64-bit Atom bomb server

If SeaMicro has been "awash in business" as company founder, Andrew Feldman, tells El Reg it has been in the wake of last June's launch of the 512-core, 10U Atom-based SM10000 server, then the company had better batten down the hatches and prepare for the deluge. Because today SeaMicro is shipping the second generation of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim, forgot one?

You know what looks like a good candidate CPU for this?

loongson 3c. 64bit mips, 2GHz. 16 cores. Seems to fit in the Watts per core envelope at least.

2. BorkedAgain

Linux?

So safe to assume it' won't run Crysis, then?

1. Bill Neal

Wine?

wait, no GPU? nevermind

3. Mikel

An interesting reply to Godson

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/02/25/ict_godson_3b_chip/

A complex metric, compute density. It's a balance of dollars, MIPS, Watts, cubic inches. Must not neglect storage and connectivity. Each customer has different needs. Manageability is key. There's a huge opportunity to become irrelevant here.

The X86 instruction set hasn't that much pull, but it has some. The folk who want this stuff own the source code for their apps. They would recompile them to work on an array of Xoom tablets if that was the best solution to their problems. But X86 has a huge legacy that does create some reluctance to shift.

Intel Atom needs to gain Imagination Technologies' SGX554MP16 to be a slam dunk in HPC and continue the line to stay there. Shoot, Intel should just buy Imagination Technologies and be done with it if they can get away with the antitrust issues. Can they be that bold?

Quad-core Atoms with 16-core IT graphics chipsets at 16nm could be the server win in 2013. TSV for 32GB of RAM in the SOC package, 16 CPUs with PCIe interconnect on the board and multiple Thunderbolt channels to the chassis.

In 2013 we'll need that for VDI, as the client side is going mobile.

And as long as I'm dreaming, somebody to sell the thing who has a freaking clue what the hell he's doing.

4. Chemist

"Atom family, particularly now that it runs 64-bit code"

Rather puzzled by this comment as I've had a Atom dual core 330 running 64-bit Linux as a file/print server since 2009.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

all well and good, but.....

how well will it run crysis?

6. Gordan

64-bit Atoms

@Chemist - The problem with the A330 is that it's a 5W CPU with an ancient 13W chipset, which makes the TDP unworkable for the required density.

1. Chemist

Oh sure

Yes I appreciate that - I was just puzzled by the comment "but he is very enthusiastic about the Atom family, particularly now that it runs 64-bit code," which makes it sounds as though this is a recent thing.

I built the file server when I needed it - I'd much rather have an even lower powered one.

7. Gordan

Kerrighed

Something like this would be really interesting with Kerrighed Linux to make it look like one machine with 512 cores.

8. Bill Neal
    Thumb Up

Raptors?

That box looks like the velociraptor transporting cage from jurassic park. Too bad SGI didn't make something like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm sure

rackable will oblige to source and slap a badge on if asked nicely. How much markup is the sgi label worth to you?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ECC memory?

This is a very impressive piece of engineering, but does the N570 support ECC?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like