back to article Spain goes mad for King versus Chávez

The unseemly spat at the recent Ibero-American summit in Chile, which saw Spanish King Juan Carlos ask a gobby Hugo Chávez "Why don't you shut up?", has proved a big hit down at YouTube, as well as spawning a spin-off industry punting t-shirts, mugs and ringtones to impressed Spaniards. For those of you who may have missed it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Hanley

fit for a king?

> "The use of the sentence 'Why don’t you shut up?' in ringtones is a clear breach of his image rights."

I find it hard to believe a king would lower himself to complaining about this. Now, if it were a Prince...

2. WeeDom

Bill o'really

I think you'll find that Bill O'reilly has prior art to the "shut up" phrase.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mobeland...

...Lester, you should know better!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Internet meme escapes into real life?

Doesn't this count as the first recorded invocation of Godwin's law in real-world diplomatic discussions?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

And there was me thinking Joe Dolce might have claimed rights :-)

6. David Roberts
    Coat

Maria, why don't you just shut up Maria?

Maria Youshutup the opera singer?

Or am I showing a Callas disregard for spelling?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Godwin?

Nah. First off he called him a fascist, not a Nazi. More importantly, in case you missed it, Spain was run by ACTUAL fascists until 1977, when General Francisco Franco (an ally of Hitler and Mussolini who kept his job after WWII) finally croaked. A lot of those fascists and their sympathizers are still around today. If you travel around Spain, you can run into a lot of bars with Franco's picture up, as well as bars that have Marx's picture, and plenty that have Durruti's picture up. (Durruti was a leader of the anarchists' fight against Franco.)

The latter are actually pretty cool hangouts. The first two kinds are okay if you have a stick wedged in your posterior and would like to meet others in the same condition. :)

8. J
    Black Helicopters

Title

"I find it hard to believe a king would lower himself to complaining about this."

Well, a little bit different situation, but the king of Thailand might disagree with you there...

9. Daniel Silver badge

Re: J

the King of Thailand didn't personally object - his bubblewrapping minions objected on his behalf. IIRC the King actually requested clemency which is why the culprits were simply ejected from the country rather than locked away.

This topic is closed for new posts.