back to article AMD's Bulldozer cores to push to 3.5 GHz and beyond

Chip maker Advanced Micro Devices lifted the veil a bit on the "Bulldozer" core module at the IEEE's International Solid-State Circuits Conference in San Francisco, showing off the power savings and faster clock speeds that the new design will allow for its workstation and server processors. As is the case with most of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stewart Stevens
    Thumb Up

Nice article

Good stuff, enjoyed reading it.

Like the sound of the 'AVX mode'. Neat

1. Dr. Mouse

Yep

The AVX mode sounds like something I have been wondering about for a while now. I have been wondering why it hasnt been done before.

Most workloads are mainly integer, so sharing an FPU and allowing 1 core to use all of it sounds like a logical step.

With a bit of luck, this should in itself see a performance boost. It should also allow, say, a 1-thread video encoder to run near the performance of a 2-thread, without the "normal" loss of quality associated with multi-threaded compression.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Happy

Go AMD Go...

Sounds good so far. Keep up the good work.

3. E 2
    Happy

Fantasic!

What more can I say?

Fantastic!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

hope this succeeds for them

because if it does, it's a win for us, too.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

But is it...

Better than my dual floppy drive 386 - with turbo memory and 8 meg of RAM?

6. Wallyb132

I sure hope Bulldozer is all that...

Being a diehard AMD fan, and a devout intel hater, I'm sure hoping this is all that its claimed to be... I've been losing faith in AMD lately which has me a little lost on the IT industry right now. If AMD blows this, I'll probably find another line of work... yes i hate intel that much...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

AMD does it again, AMD rocks!

This is great, being a NASA system integrator I think it will excite them too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like