back to article iGoogle launch fingered in user data loss furore

After thousands of Google users lost their calendar and digital sticky notes when personalised settings mysteriously disappeared last week, the explanation seems to be "iGoogle". According to the Google blog, staff at the search giant call their customised Google homepages iGoogle, and the functions of iGoogle were released to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul

The only thing I noticed apart from the name change was the themes.

Currently a small fox is eating sushi by a formal pond. I noticed him washing his smalls yesterday.

It's the best thing ever.

2. Chad H.

Suprising...

I'm suprised apple havent rolled out their iLawyer(tm) to write up some iCeaseAndDecistLetters (tm) , or even announced a plan for iLitigation(tm) against iGoogle....

3. James Haigh

I wondered what happened..

I spent hours trying to re-build my personalised page, each time though the page reverted to the default unconfigured personalised page.

In the end I gave up and signed out.

The following day, everything was back to normal, except for the silly iGoogle logo.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones whose data was resored successfully.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iGoogle & Apple Love Up

Do you not think that with the launch of the iPhone and the whole Google tie in with that, the iGoogle is somehow designed to be part of the big Apple & Google colaboration to take over the world ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone recommend a good search engine?

Ugggh. I have no interest in a search engine keeping track of what I look for (web history), who I am (iGoogle) and who my friends might be (Gmail) and then using this stuff to pitch advertising and other unwanted goo at me.

Could anyone point me at the TURN THIS OFF button (I presume if you are not evil, there would be one). Alternatively anyone got any search engine recommendations (perhaps it's time to reinvigorate Altavista)?

6. Connor Garvey

Lost

I'm in the US and I lost everything as well. I was actually signed on at the time. I clicked on a link and everything vanished. I spent about 15 minutes updating the page and making it better than it was before. Today, my old configuration is back, overwriting the new one I wanted to keep.

7. Nathan

RE: Can anyone recommend a good search engine?

Ok, just get developer's toolbar for firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60) and click 'block cookies'. Then you'll be fine for searching for as long as you want without any pesky google geeks looking at your 'browsing preferences'

8. greg

Aaaah

That explains why I lost my personalised home page and all my tabs :(

Ah well, they needed cleaning up anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like