back to article Microsoft student mail checkmates Google state grab

Microsoft is claiming victory in its increasingly personal battle with Google to deliver web mail and collaboration. The software giant has named the Portland Public Schools system, home to 46,000 students across 85 schools, as planning a move to its Live@edu online collaboration suite. The hipster-heavy city's school system …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam Liddicott

imap?

Lets hope it has imap support or at least pop3

1. iamapizza

Re: imap?

Long answer:

I think they responded about this once - they prefer ActiveSync and are sticking to that because of "all the other stuff it comes with". IMAP does exist, but only for mobile devices. So you'll need an email client with ActiveSync.

They've also added security so that you can browse your emails over HTTPS (not just the login page) but if you enable that, it will break your mobile device email setup.

Short answer:

NO.

2. Mike VandeVelde
    Megaphone

no mention of IBM?

LotusLive is competing hard in the cloud.

Interesting work coming out with Symphony:

http://www.cloudave.com/10117/ibm-lotuslive-symphony-google-needs-to-watch-out/

Pick your mobile with Traveller:

https://www.lotuslive.com/en/catalog/index.php?id=mobile&tab=mobile_overview

I wonder if Portland evaluated this offering?

3. JaitcH
    WTF?

"proven, enterprise-level quality, stability, security, & is easier for students and teachers"

Words straight from MS PR hacks. Must have been offered deep discounts to award this one.

Variety would be nice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the same system that..

the local excuse for a college here 'outsourced' student email to?

And which promptly locked out my sister for a month or so from her email account after the first day for reasons that even the college IT support couldn't get out of Microsoft...

(Irony is, for the period she had to use her hotmail account for college related stuff, and that caused issues with all the 'management' crap side of the package)

Ok Portland, so good luck with that then..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Client with active sync

There's no doubt that Outlook is a nice email client, but ~£80 worth of nice? I'm really not so sure about that. There's also no better way to force people to use it than to demand the client be active sync capable.

6. Peter Holgate
    Thumb Up

Yippeee

Anything is better the Google Mail - stuck with that rubbish (epithets removed) in this school for 4 years - even Lotus Notes that the admin staf use is better, and I never thought I would state that!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah!

That's it, microsoft! It's about time a little guy stood up to google! Fight the good fight! Make us proud!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like