back to article Doctor Who co-star Nicholas Courtney dies at 81

Nicholas Courtney, who starred in Doctor Who as Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart opposite no less than eight incarnations of the famous Doctor, has died aged 81. The Egypt-born actor first appeared in the popular BBC sci-fi drama in the 1960s, but his Brig role wasn't his first casting in for Doctor Who. In The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Jenkins... chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid."

All-time classic Brigadier line, from Dr Who 'The Deamons'.

RIP Sir.

1. David Robinson 1

Dammit!

That was going to be my suggestion for the gun salute at his funeral.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

On the difficulty of apropos epitaphs for DW actors....

Star Trekkies have it easy. Any time one of their heroes dies, they've got a ready made epitaph:

Trekkie #1: Did you hear the sad news about James Doohan

Trekkie #2: Oh, did he...?

Trekkie #1: Yes. He's finally boldly gone where no man has gone before...

Whovians just can't do that with our catchphrase:

Whovian #1: Did you hear the sad news about Nicholas Courtney?

Whovian #2: You mean...?

Whovian #1: Yes. He's finally bigger on the inside than the outside...

Ah well. At ease sir; you may stand down now. You did a good job.

3. Dr. Funk.
      Thumb Up

@AC (1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqK6LnXmK0k

2. Wommit
    Pint

Sad day.

I always liked the Brigadier.

3. EyeCU
    Alien

R.I.P.

Who wouldn't have been the same without the Brig

4. johnnytruant

farewell, sir

Such a shame he didn't get to do a final story. He deserved a proper send off.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP

But that's Brigadier SIR Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

1. rpjs

Shouldn't it be

*Major-General* SIR Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart ? IIRC officers over the rank of Major or Colonel or some such get a courtesy promotion when they retire.

6. Billy 8

Nicest comment I've seen so far..

was on twitter :

"@cobaltmale I like to think of the Brig like King Arthur... just having a nap, but able to return in his country's greatest hour of need."

:: does a big geeky tragic sniffle ::

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

I like to think of the Brig like King Arthur

Remember the Sylvester McCoy story Battlefield? The Doctor was Merlin, Ace was the Lady of the Lake, so who was the Brigadier...?

1. Billy 8

I have erased...

... all of the Syvester McCoy era episodes from my mind ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Great, now you can enjoy them just like the first time all over again!

LISTER: I've done it.

HOLLY: Done what?

LISTER: Erased Sylvester McCoy.

HOLLY: Who's he, then?

LISTER: Holly, you just asked me to erase all Sylvester McCoy-era Doctor Who from your memory.

HOLLY: Why should I do that? I've never heard of him.

LISTER: You've never heard of him because I've just erased him from your smegging memory.

HOLLY: What'd you do that for?

LISTER: < you'll have to fill in your own witty reply for lister here. my head just a'splode from all the potential for sarky responses >

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Get Off My World

Courtney recounted that the producer had taken him to a nice lunch, and then afterwards asked what would he think about being killed off in Battlefield. Courtney was up for it.

In the end the production team just didn't have the heart to kill off the much loved character after he's just saved the world. But, for a few seconds on first transmission, you believed he was dead.

RIP Nick. Hope you are up there enjoying a pint with Jon Pertwee, Roger Delgado and Ian Marter.

1. T J
          Thumb Up

Heartily agree!

Heartily agree Sir! And maybe Patrick and William will drop in on them too.

7. James Le Cuirot

Met him once

Really nice chap. Made everybody laugh.

8. Nick G
    Pint

I'm Fairly sure that's Cromer...

A sad loss... I echo the comment about him not getting a proper send off. Thanks for the memories. Some Brig related fun on the DVD tonight Methinks...

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

He played his character very well

Top show!

10. graeme leggett Silver badge

Forever "in Geneva"

We shall not see his like again

11. Parsifal

Sad to See Him Go

I actually met Nick a couple of times at two Leeds based SciFi conventions called Santacon, he was one of the friendliest and nicest of people you could wish to meet. I always thought Unit in the New Dr. Who series lacked him as the figurehead. He will be missed.

12. teacake

Five rounds rapid

Splendid chap, all of him.

13. Spider
    Unhappy

Sadly missed

He was producing great stuff still. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Scaryfiers radio series...

"It may be a tentacled fiend from the beyond but it doesn't like the taste of hot lead!"

Great actor.

14. William Boyle
    Unhappy

So sad!

I always enjoyed Courtney's portrayal of the Brigadier with a twinkle i his eye on Doctor Who. All those years, and he was the one constant in the show. The Doctor could change, the Doctor's sidekicks changed, the "enemy" changed, but Lethbridge-Stewart was always there to keep the home fires burning! So long General. You will be missed.

15. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Greatest ever quote

You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace who wasn't immune to bullets!

16. T J
    Unhappy

What the Devil's going on Doctor......

....these chaps are popping off everywhere!

(Paraphrasing the Brig just as he stands up from a massive chaingun having dispatched several Ogrons and placing his stick back under his arm).

Good night and good luck Brigadier.

<SALUTES>

17. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

21 gun salute

He deserved it. RIP and condolences to any family.

18. 42
    Unhappy

Yes Primeminister

He played the Police commisioner, who when introduced to the UNICEF rep said "AH yes UNICEF-brave little country"

He will be missed!

19. h4rm0ny
    Pint

Rest in Peace, Brigadier

No-one could act opposite yetis and dinosaurs, gargoyles and cybermen and still pull off his straight-faced, determined dignity. "Chap with the wings, five rounds rapid" - says it all. You'll be missed, Brig.

Pint for you.

20. Tim Jenkins

Doctor: "But I don't exist in your world!"

Brigadier: "Then you won't feel the bullets when we shoot you"

Ah; the glory days of UNIT; repelling whole alien armies with a ragtop Landrover Defender, three expendable squaddies armed with L1A1s, and a decent chap with a REALLY good moustache...

21. Simon Millard
    Grenade

Brigadier Quotes

Mordred: My Mother will destroy you!

Brigadier: Just between you and me, Mordred, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about your mother

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Not this time, Doctor. Armour-Piercing, solid core with a Teflon coating; go through a Dalek.

The Doctor: A non-stick bullet.

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: UNIT's been very busy, Doctor. We've also got high-explosive rounds for Yeti's and very efficient armour-piercing rounds for robots. And we've even got gold-tipped bullets for you-know-what.

The Doctor: No silver?

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Silver bullets?

The Doctor: Well, you never know...

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Sergeant, Have we any Silver Bullets?

This topic is closed for new posts.