back to article Make your own guitar with a 3D printer

Check out this dude - jammin' on a guitar he designed using 3D modelling software. This is the Zoybar Tor, created by a musician called Bård S D, using the open-source 3D modelling software Blender. Bård then had the body parts printed by Shapeways on a 3D printer for $175. The body parts are designed by Zoybar, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems like a great idea ...

... if you want a guitar that sounds like the flip-top bin in the kitchen. The material and shape of a guitar body, and the way it attaches to the neck, affect its harmonics and sustain, and while odd shapes and materials can be good for some purposes, like making them easily portable or just for stage gimmicks, I don't think you're going to get a great guitar this way.

1. adnim

I agree

have an up vote to compensate for the negative response from a commenter whom I can only presume has never played a guitar.

I'll stick to my wooden ones thanks. Although I will state that when such a guitar as this is played through an effects rack the result may sound good. However when played through an old Vox AC30 or a Marshall without a rack of effects I think it will sound awful.

2. Matt Bradley
      Thumb Up

well, sort of....

The most important factor in the sonic qualities of a solid body electric guitar is the rigidity and resonance (or lack thereof) of the whole. In fact, a more dense and rigid, less resonant guitar will tend to have more sustain because of the knock on effect of not absorbing too much of the string's energy, and not trasnmitting any of the vibration to the pickups, where such vibration would compromise the electromagnetic process of picking up the strings note.

This is why carbon fibre, through neck guitars such as the tiny cricket bat shaped Steinberger guitars tend to sound closer to a big chunky Les Paul, for example. And why big body semis actually have quite a boxy, reedy sound by comparison.

If the construction techniques and rigidity of the materials in this guitar are suitable, the actual size and shape of the thing doesn't mean a damn.

I for one am more than a litle curious.

1. Marvin the Martian
        Heart

You have just launched a great idea!

The ACME Concrete Guitar Company Ltd. Not as portable, but almost resonance-free.

1. b00n

Concrete guitar

You mean like http://www.wku.edu/news/releases06/september/guitar.html...?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re: Concrete Guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4

1. Matt Bradley

Or indeed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppusLiJYKd4

In this video, and the one previously posted, the guitars actually sound rather good amped up.

And witg that, m'lud, I rest my case.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

gaming dice

I modeled a full set of gaming dice (d4, d6, d8, 2-d10, d12 and d20). The numbers are modeled in based on probability distribution, so for example, the d6 adds up to 7 through any axis (1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4) also, hemispheres have the same value. Anyway, I printed several sets on a 3D printer (laser sintering type) and they turned out great. The solid nylon gives a nice bounce, and they are porous enough to dye any color you want. Dice may not be as cool as a guitar, but these dice get much cred with the gaming crowd!

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Pix please!

Really curious to see how they look!

3. Stephen 2
    FAIL

ASA

I thought the ASA now control internet advertising regulation in the UK? I believe a requirement is to disclose paid ads like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Don't be stupid

You've made a bit of a dick of yourself ehere. The article's in the RegHardware part of the site, under the section called Gadgets. What d'you expect to see in that section of the site, apart from articles about unusual new products which companies make? A C++ tutorial?

If you don't want to read about gadgets, don't read the section called "Gadgets"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Evidence

Any evidence that this is a paid ad, or are you going for libel of the year?

Didn't read like a paid ad to me, very similar to all the other reviews or similar on the site.

4. Intractable Potsherd

That...

... is very nice! Wonder what it sounds like

1. Dave Bell
      Go

The big question

To some extent, you're paying for bragging rights.

There are places which sell guitar kits: if you put the effort into the finishing, you would certainly have something unique which you could be confident of sounding good. It depends what you think your time is worth, but there is that personal feeling about making it. It becomes a little more special.

Interesting tech-geekery: there are solid-state circuits out there which emulate valves, so that you can make a working "valve" amplifier which doesn't need obsolete batteries or spares.

5. TrickyRicky

Wot? No neck?

The tricky bit of making a guitar is the neck.

He didn't make the neck on a 3D printer.

6. Potts

Flute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHgszH0aqI

7. Thomas Whipp

getting much more mainstream

whole feature on this in the economist last week - some very cool materials and print jobs can be done and they recon its likely to become fairly mainstream in the next few years.

They talk about some cool features such as printing tungsten hip implants with a honeycomb type effect near the edge (rather than solid like a machined version) so that bone can grow into the implant to improve bonding.

Best pic in their article is a chainmail gauntlet that was printed fully assembled!

Guitar certainly looks cool and may or may not sound good - but as a fabrication technique its looking like this is certainly coming.

8. Mr Larrington
    Joke

Until...

I can print a working Ferrari on a 3D printer I am this: not interested.

9. Graham Bartlett

@AC and adnim

Depends whether you both think classic electric guitars like the Parker Fly or Dan Armstrong plexiglass are also going to sound like flip-top bins. (Hint: they don't. ;-) And then there's lap-steels, where any wood is mostly for decoration. How you make it engineering-wise has a *lot* more to do with the sound than what you make it out of.

10. magicmodel
    Thumb Up

Nice Sound

That's a surprisingly nice sound from an object that was rapid prototyped. Perhaps the person could 3d print a whole orchestra in 1 day? Now that would be a challenge.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like