back to article Facebook telly app wins £60k from Samsung

Samsung's Smart TV Challenge has been won by a telly-recommending Facebook-friendly app - although the public preferred the runner-up. The company put the money up to encourage apps that would run on its TVs. Which is a reasonably specific brief. Astra Recommends, the winning app, has scooped £60,000 of Samsung's money, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Total shit...useless

If I'm sat watching my TV and a friend or relative starts fucking about "liking" tv shows and disrupting my viewing they'll get a boot up their arse.

The only thing people want on their TV is the Iplayer and the other channels equivilent...That's it. Companies have tried and failed for years to get people to use their TV for more than watching TV Shows and Movies...the problem is that the reason people buy a TV is to watch TV not to play on the computer...they bought a computer for that. Not hard to understand really, unless you work in marketing for samsung.

1. Breaking_News
      Badgers

Patent this!

I think you've got yourself a cracking idea for the next round of TV apps. True Interactive TV - when a friend "likes" a TV show and it pops up on your screen, ruining your peace and quiet, you get the chance to send a response in the form of a hand that comes out of the TV and slaps them across the face with an appropriate accompanying message.

Other voices come as payable extras!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

apps for your TV?

Stop trying to make TV an active experience. TV, proper TV, is, and always will be, passive.

That's why people like it, that's why it's popular.

People don't want to think or move. Or talk to anyone for that matter.

Every time I hear a BBC presenter say "now let's go to your tweets" I die a little inside. Don't read the fucking tweets, no one cares about them, really.

And no I don't want to create an account on iPlayer. Because there's fuck all on there worth watching for starters, and secondly, why do you need my details? What do you want next, body parts? Do you want me to go and dig up some graves, just for you? Isn't that just a little bit selfish?

Please let me just watch your crappy shows in peace. I only watch them because I have nothing better to do. Don't patronise me into believing that I want to fucking talk about them too. Because I don't, except to say that they suck.

3. Mystic Megabyte

meh?

what is facebook?

4. Jim_2

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

I'd get a damn console.

5. djack

LoveFilm App

Last time I looked (last week), the Samsung LoveFilm app didn't let me watch any trailers.

There again, that was the first time it actually let me watch a film instead of the usual 'Coming Soon' screen.

6. Paul Ireland
    Flame

The Spanish Inquisition sketch

I want a TV for the main purpose of watching TV programmes...

... and watching films I rent on DVD from my Blockbusters shop,

OK I want a TV for two purposes, to watch TV programmes and to watch films I rent on DVD from my Blockbusters shop...

...and to exercise to that keep fit DVD I've got.

OK I want a TV for three purposes, to watch TV programmes, to watch films I rent on DVD from my Blockbusters shop, and to exercise to that keep fit DVD I've got...

and to play that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire DVD game we got at Christmas when we have friends around.

OK, amongst my reasons for wanting a TV are diverse elements like watching TV programmes, watching the films I rent on DVD from my Blockbusters shop, exercising to that keep fit DVD I've got, and playing that Who Wants To Be A Millionaire DVD game we got at Christmas when we have friends around.

... and so on, and I haven't even mentioned the TV programme menu, viewing digital photo albums, viewing home camcorder footage, playing console games, etc. Smart TV is merely opening up the TV to similar or more uses, similar uses that we currently put traditional TVs to (but with more of an online element), and other uses too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like