back to article Microsoft gives Kinect SDK to 'academics, enthusiasts'

Microsoft has announced that it will release a Kinect for Windows SDK "starter kit" this spring "to make it simpler for the academic research and enthusiast communities to create rich natural user interfaces" using the motion-sensing device. "Microsoft's investments in natural user interfaces are vital to our long-term vision …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bro
    Linux

Credit where credit is due

The first people to hack the Kinect were the GNU/Linux community. No mention of that in your article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope

In my book credit goes to Johnny Lee:

http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/2011/02/windows-drivers-for-kinect.html

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Not relevant

This seems like the usual glacial pace of Microsoft's bureaucracy to me. Certainly they did themselves no favours by not releasing one much sooner but a public (but not necessarily free or open) SDK was always on the cards.

The internal SDK was heavily geared towards development for the XBox, for obvious reasons. The Kinect release itself was a close run thing, schedule-wise, so there would have been no time to make a polished SDK for Windows at the Kinect's release. Been a while since that happened, though...

3. David Barr

Re: Bro

It's not mentioned because it doesn't matter who it was.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

who need Microsoft ?if you have open source

good quention

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

who make no sense?

good quention

3. Bro
    Linux

Credit where credit is due

The Linux hackers were the first to hack the Kinect. No mention of that in your article. All this openness is thanks to them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Openness

So, you know for a fact that MS wouldn't have released the SDK by themselves, even just as an "up yours" to Sony?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Bro

Firstly, no-one but blinkered, narrow minded Linux fanboyz actually care. Most people in the real world use Windows or Mac, whether you like it or not.

Secondly, credit where credit is due - MS actually released an innovative product and have reacted to demand for a toolkit in a considered manner, rather than a rushed, knee-jerk fashion.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Morning Rik, Ms Bee

"which said that Noting..."

Merkins- read thy work.

5. There's a bee in my bot net

Learned something?

Perhaps they have seen how the PS3 hacking thing is going for Sony and decided that it is better to embrace and extend than piss people off...

A win for MS. This almost off sets Windows 7 mobile... almost.

1. Bakunin
      Grenade

Plausible deniability

I hope you're right, I really do. If MS would learn to love their enthusiast community a little more then the Windows community in general can only benefit.

However, I'm still suspicious. Does this mean that any 'enthusiast' that signs up for the SDK can now be sued for possible reverse engineering should they ever work on the open source version? What's in the terms and conditions? Many open source developers (especially when dealing with file formats and drivers) need to steer clear of existing works to avoid just such a situation.

I'd like to be proven wrong. Time will tell.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Honestly impressed.

It looks like Microsoft have actually learned something about embracing an enthusiastic community rather than trying to roll the tanks over it.

I mean, LEGO took the same step years ago with their robotics firmware and have gone from strength to strength with community liason (and the associated truck loads of free publicity). It's about time one of the tech behemoths caught up with the modern world.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Just a distraction

They are creating this good PR for 2 reasons.

1/ To detract from the fact that Xbox Kinect games not only suck, but are thin on the ground.

2/ To try and create a myth that Sony hates hackers and Microsoft love them,

8. P Zero
    Thumb Up

Well...

in your face, Sony. I guess.

9. niya blake

I'm thinking

That MS had planned to release a Kinect SDK for the PC . I believe this because MS moved very fast to release the SDK after it was hacked .

10. bazza Silver badge

Not comparable to Sony

Hacking of the Kinect USB protocol can not really be compared to the current row surrounding jailbreaking PS3s. The former can result only in more sales of the Kinects. The latter could result in less sales of PS3 games (though even that is not a given).

MS were pretty quick to state that they didn't mind people sniffing the USB protocol. They must have been pretty pleased in fact. Such enthusiasm could only mean that they had a market success on their hands! The free positive publicity must have been welcome too.

It will be interesting to see if the SDK has more in it than the kits that already been brewed. It would be impressive if it turns out that MS base their SDK on one of the home brewed ones!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like