back to article Acer in alleged Chrome OS monitor plot

Update: Heise has updated its story on the Acer DX241H to say that the PC will not run Chrome Os. It will merely be loaded with Google's Chrome browser. Acer has announced the first Google Chrome OS device, according to a somewhat sketchy report out of Germany citing Acer itself. Oddly enough, the device is not a notebook. It's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. davidotazuu
    Thumb Up

I want this!

Large monitor with built in Chrome OS? I would love such a machine as this. I mainly use my computer to update my website and surf the internet. I am sick and tired of computer maintenance issue and I'm sure that the masses of the non tech savvy population are as well. I think sales of chrome o s on big screen devices will explode as they will also in the netbook market. I can't wait until chrome o s is out!

1. mafoo

clarification

Chrome OS that is.

2. mafoo
      Grenade

humm

Have you actually used the abomination that is chrome O_o ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back full circle

and we've just went 15-20 years back to the age of dumb X terminals. But instead of a decent and simple remote desktop protocol we have this tangled mess of HTTP, Javascript, XML, HTML, CSS, Flash to really soak up all the bandwidth and needing a overpowered CPU to handle it all.

There are much better ways to achieve the goal of creating applications that keep their state remotely instead of scraping a solution that combines all this rubbish,under the false pretense of being all "open" technologies... have your PhDs figure it out Google.

1. Paul M 1

title

"There are much better ways to achieve the goal of creating applications that keep their state remotely instead of scraping a solution that combines all this rubbish..."

Such as?

2. Jeff 11

@Gk.pm

As much as I hate to defend the bollocks concept that web apps can do everything, there is a distinct difference between a dumb terminal and a transactional client-server model. Having an app's data state stored in a key-value pair or relational DB as opposed to a fat, persistent memory block is much more efficient for app providers. The client can also does a lot of the work itself: for example managing the UI state and rendering locally while keeping data (the important bit) safe on the remote machine. So these machines are a far cry from dumb terminals, and in a lot of cases, this arrangement works far better.

3. Mikel
    Go

Looks good

Have to see the specs to know for sure, but this looks like a good bit of gear so far.

4. Tom 35

Acer has the right idea

What good is a portable PC that is not much more then a paper weight without internet access? Sure you can stick 3G in it but then you have an expensive data contract to add to the price. The cellular networks are already whining about smart phone users actually using the data they paid for, just wait for a device that is always sucking data, they are going to love that...

5. Syntax Error
    FAIL

Just a Web Browser

You can download a web browser for free. Why buy a computer?

1. Dr. Mouse

I was thinking that...

Old computer (or even something like a Sheevaplug/Guruplug) hooked up to monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Boot optimised Linux environment, possibly running completely from RAM.

Load X and a web browser.

Done! You have duplicated what ChromeOS is supposed to do. (Plus you still have the option of real local programs for specific porpoises or dolphins)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Gk.pm

I think that is what native code support is aimed at. While it might be a better technical solution the openness of the web has its benefits.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dumb terminals

Do we have to connect them to 3174 controllers, or will they be using this new whizzy interwebs thingy?

8. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

I always hate this bit...

It will be priced at $400 or for people in the UK between £350-450.

You know i'll be right about that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Almost certainly

...because the USD price quoted never includes sales tax (since it differs between states and cities) and the cost of shipping per unit is higher to the UK (assuming an East Asia production facility).

$400 in NYC (8.875% sales tax) would actually be $435.50.

$400 at current 1.7 FX, is about £235. Include VAT at 20%, and you've got a tidy £280 without adding any profit at all or taking shipping and handling in to account.

9. Tom Chiverton 1

Put down the cool aid

"there are no local applications"

What's this 'ere Native Client stuff in it then ? Why, it's local applications !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like