back to article Does service centric IT deliver better value?

IT is increasingly being challenged by end users and the business to deliver more - be it flexible working, increased responsiveness, 24 hour availability or reduced costs. For many, it can feel like fire fighting against a constant tide of unrealistic expectations that seem to shift over time while being under-appreciated for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hardly news

Everyone, especially in the world of business, wants more for less from other people. Surprisingly enough, there seem to be relatively few business people who are keen to deliver more for less themselves.

Odd, that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A different angle

Whilst business users do seem to pride themselves in coming up with ridiculously unlikely to ever be fulfilled requests, IT does itself no favours by often being overly bureaucratic and inflexible. At the end of the day you work for the business to enable them to make more money/less losses. Management of stupid requests is down to the ineptitude of senior business people and their inability to pull their subordinates into line. Likewise the bureaucratic ITIL-centric bullshit from IT is the responsibility of senior IT management that have likely never coded (lifetime manager syndrome) nor faced the ire of a pissed-off user.

I too work for an unrealistic request business with utterly inflexible tail-wagging-the-dog IT.

3. Carl Thomas 1

Carl T

As a data analyst I find it very difficult working with IT sometimes. It took me three long years to be able to convince them (through plenty of intense debate) that I was good enough to go into my own database to retrieve data myself without their incessant handholding, even though I was only requesting a READ ONLY access into a system that I already had admin rights over through a third party programming sql front end. So if anyone ever says that business is completely at fault then that it so not even true. Fault does lie on both sides, but as a person that is supposed to bridge the gap between production and IT, I can honestly say that IT have made my life a nightmare by denying me even the most basic of tools to access the data for swift reporting, while the production guys have been left with the impression that to create any new report it takes an ad hoc request that requires reprogramming the front end and therefore a two year long wait while the request is being processed...

1. Mark 65

@CT1

Other than the ITIL-centric management twats I mentioned in my previous post you have the self-serving theoretical crap espoused by external (and internal) auditors to thank for your access woes. Audit says blah having access to abc is an issue. We must clear up all our audit points. You can;t have access etc etc. Yet another group of pillocks that have never cut code or operated in the real world at the pointy end. Yes, I hate auditors too.

This topic is closed for new posts.