back to article Microsoft flash research inspires EMC

EMC is using Microsoft research into flash use as a memory tier between DRAM and disk drives to speed up Data Domain deduplication. FlashStore is a Microsoft research project that batches up flash writes in a server's main memory and then writes them as a page or block, in effect turning random flash writes into sequential …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oye... Not this againnnnnnnn

"NetApp's controller-located FlashCache, and caching both reads and writes unlike the NetApp technology which is a read cache only."

From: http://blogs.netapp.com/efficiency/2011/02/flash-cache-doesnt-cache-writes-why.html

NetApp’s Data ONTAP does something uniquely different from the majority of other storage vendors’ products; it’s optimized for writes. Indeed, write optimization was one of the original design criteria for Data ONTAP back in 1992. Dave Hitz himself explained this many years ago in TR-3001 (since updated). In brief, Data ONTAP eliminates the “Disk Parity Bottleneck” through its use of WAFL to coalesce a group of temporally located write IOs; pre-emptively “defrag” if you will this group of I/Os based upon the best possible allocation unit or “tetris” available; calculate parity for the entire lot while in memory, and stripe the lot of them across all available drives during the next write event (aka consistency point, CP).

"Data ONTAP eliminates the “Disk Parity Bottleneck” through its use of WAFL to coalesce a group of temporally located write IOs" -- That part is done via a write cache battery-backed DIMM(s)...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AC Beat me to it

Oh lookie, Microsoft "inventing" something that NetApp started doing more than 16 years ago and claiming it as new. No surprise that EMC have now decided to use the technology. Ohh Ohh, me too.

I wonder if they will shut up with the WAFL frag FUD.

1. doperative
      Happy

FlashCACHE isn't FlashSTORE©

Except FlashCACHE isn't FlashSTORE©, see FlashSTOREs got almost totally different letters in its name ..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like