back to article Intel defends MeeGo after Nokia defection

Nokia may have run off with Microsoft, but Intel remains married to MeeGo. "While we are disappointed with Nokia's decision," Intel spokeswoman Suzy Ramirez tells The Reg, "Intel remains committed to MeeGo and welcomes Nokia's continued contribution to MeeGo open source." That disappointing decision, of course, was announced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mikel
    Black Helicopters

Poor Intel

They just don't understand what's happening here. And they're not going to, I don't think.

It's a pity, really. MeeGo might have been pretty neat.

1. Wanda Lust

If it's not nanoscale...

.... Intel don't understand it. OSes are just too high level for the boys in Santa Clara.

2. asdf
      Flame

if you only knew

On netbooks its loads very quick and though tinker toyish and though basically the distro for teen girls its ok. On tablets and other form factors lets just say if you can keep the OS running for more than a few hours you count yourself lucky. Lets just say at this time ARM has nothing to worry about both hardware and software wise on the low end.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which low end?

Have you seen MeeGo on a STB? Guess not.

Have you seen Arm roadmap? Guess yes. What does it say about STBs and other similar devices? It is supposed to eat MIPS for breakfast to succeed there and become the No 1 STB vendor.

However, even at the current code level of MeGo and current state of the Atom + media processor and Intel media SDK Arm will only end up finding that Intel ate MIPS first.

While the way it is going we are not going to see any MeGo phones, we are quite likely to see a nearly exclusive MeGo landscape (primarily on Intel media accelerator chipset + Atom) for TVs, cars, STBs and all other media oriented consumer electronics in about 2-3 years. No STB vendor is looking properly at ARM at the moment and all are looking at MIPS only for current generation. All the next gen development is Intel + media SDK. Ditto for internet enabled TVs. Sans a few detractors doing Cell and Apple it is all based on that platform as well.

1. asdf
          Flame

also

forgot to mention you keep talking in the future. This is what M$ say as about Phone 7. Late in the game for either to take over the world. Intel phones are a given only in Intel executives heads as for the other stuff unless Intel gets its crap together from what I have seen we are talking at least two years away.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. asdf
          FAIL

what?

Show me where ARM and even sadly AMD doesn't destroy Intel on performance per watt up until low end computers and especially considering the gpu functionality. Can't go into specifics but the Intel embedded platform I am currently developing software for on Meego is the most unstable half baked platform I have ever seen a company even release internally to developers. I wish I could solely use simulators as its hard to do regression testing when your core platform falls over constantly.

2. Levente Szileszky

Nokia's MeeGo head...

...should have been fired long time ago - utter incompetency at its worst.

That being said picking WP is the worst decision, they should have focused on MeeGo and piggy back on Android's app store via Davlik.

3. Mark Jan
    WTF?

Getting into Bed...?

"But who knows? Stranger things have happened – such as Nokia getting in bed with a company that it had been battling for 15 years. ®"

More like bending over as far as they could and getting 12" of Redmond's best right where the sun don't shine!

WTF? icon because Nokia has.

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Gates Horns

Nowhere now

Unless Intel can persuade someone like Motorola, or some other once-mighty but sleeping phone company to join it, it might as well go find something else to play with. No MeeGo phones are going to come to market.

It does all make WebOs seem so much more attractive, doesn't it?

1. Lance 3

HP?

HP is some of the worst phones made in terms of quality and features. WebOS is dead as well. The only knocking you hear are the nails being pounded into the coffin.

2. davenewman

Meego for tablets

Meego works better on bigger screens. So forget about 'phones, look for it on tablets and on the back of airline seats.

1. asdf
        Flame

on airline seats

only if they use ARM for the processor. Intel in the embedded market hmm if you they say so.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad to hear this

I pulled my Nokia E90 out the drawer put my N900 in its place. No sense in waiting to see if the N900 will ever be updated any further.

6. FordPrefect
    Linux

Maybe intel should change strategy

Maybe its time intel conceeded defeat for meego in the mobile market and instead consider jumping on the android bandwagon? Meego still has a potential market in the embedded devices market eg sat nav, EPOS terminals, those little games consoles for kids, hell even the newer TVs which seem to be part computer anyways with internet features and DLNA support.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Ford

>Maybe its time intel conceeded defeat for meego in the mobile market and instead consider jumping on the android bandwagon?

Long past that time, that's why Intel jumped on the Google bandwagon and the OHA back in 2007. Intel released a port of Android for x86 last year - admittedly a year after Acer did the same.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Don't feel too bad about Intel

Question: What does Apple, Palm, and Rim all have in common?

Answer: They all created their own proprietary OS and build a good phone platform around it.

Unlike Nokia which fumbled w Symbian, and Meego, these three companies actually went on their own and did a good job. Palm got sucked up by HP, unfortunately Nokia was asleep at the wheel....

But I digress.

The point is that Intel has enough money and they have a desire to enter this space.

So they could complete Meego and create a platform all on their own.

1. shaolin cookie
      Jobs Horns

not just that...

but they should buy Nokia also and end the insanity of WP7. They'd be praised as the saviours of Finland, not just Nokia, and could say f*k you to Microsoft along the way. Or just buy the MeeGo department if not wanting the excess baggage. The bloody phones are practically ready, gorgeous, and a million times better than WP7 will ever be. But none of that matters to that M$ puppet at the helm.

/from a crumbled and betrayed soon-to-be former MeeGo developer stil pondering how to do a corporate revolution and dump Elop's "strategy" where it belongs/

8. John 62
    Coat

GENIVI?

Surely they missed a couple of letters at the end.

I'll need my coat cos the run to Brighton get's a bit cold at this time of year.

9. bamalam
    Gates Horns

MeeGo

MeeGo looks like it could have been great on a phone. Nokias decision is extraordinary considering that they now have no tablet strategy where MeeGo really showed its advance and innovation at MWC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like