back to article US downplays Gitmo manual leak

The US Army is downplaying the significance of the leak of a military manual detailing the day-to-day operations of the controversial terrorist detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. The 238-page manual, Camp Delta Standard Operating Procedures, gives an unprecedented insight into the working of a facility where the US has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dermot
    Pirate

Did they mention anything about

the upturned bedsheets or mints on the pillow?

i'm sure Hotel Gitmo has it's bonuses

2. John Latham
    Unhappy

4-10. Cavity Search

"...PA performs a body cavity search. A linguist will be present to communicate the procedure".

Lovely.

John

3. Ian Rogers
    Coat

@4-10. Cavity Search

"A linguist will be present to communicate the procedure"

What type of cavity search is this? It could be a cunning linguist...

thangyoui'mhereallweek

4. Spleen
    Black Helicopters

Not difficult to downplay

You don't need a very thick tinfoil hat to wonder about how much this actually damages the US. The more sickening practices at Gitmo, such as the use of torture (in case I have to say this again: if point of the exercise is to make the person do something so that you'll stop the pain and/or humiliation, it's torture, and that applies to 'stress positions' in both measures), were never going to be documented in black and white. This document supports the faction who like to claim that Gitmo is a perfectly nice place to be. Focusing attention on how the detainees are being treated also distracts attention from the fact that none of them should be there at all, having been imprisoned for years without being convicted of any crime.

This has done the US military no harm whatsoever and I don't think they'll be rushing to identify the culprit. If they do they'll probably quietly give him a medal for services to PR.

5. Mike Laverick
    Jobs Horns

Title

Gitmo is becoming a real headache for the Bush regieme. They can't try most of these guys in the US through insufficent evidence. They can't remain indefinitely without trial in Gitmo - if they are classifiable as "unlawful combatants".

The original countries that these guys come from - don't want them back - and those that do (morocco, egypt and so on) are likely to torture them - thus making the US infinge the UN articles on not deporting people to countries were torture is likely to happen.... In fact some of these guys are so scared of going back home - that they would rather remain in Gitmo of all places!

The only place that will take these guys is Albania - and wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Perhaps Kakisztan can come to rescue, I'm sure Borat would give the terrorist from the US a warm welcome... :-D

6. Chris G

How?

All the bullshit about a manual which would not mention all that they do to the prisoners at Gitmo, aside. What I really don't understand is how the yanks rent a piece of Cuba off the Cubans when they are still officially at war with them. Do they drop the rent money by air? or do they post it to Castro with the exploding cigars?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Title

@chris g. Its worse than that, they pay Cubans to work at the base as well... therefore indirectly putting money into the Cuban economy... more double standards

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mars

Cuba

should have swarmed gitmo a long time ago it shows what hypocrite's they are as well. None of these strong man "ist" dictatorships like Cuba or the US are anything but kleptocracies stealing the lives of their slaves to make a nice life for the ruling elite.

9. Jon Brindley
    Thumb Up

Am I the only person thinking ..

"Anarchist!"

"Cleaner!"

"So you've had a bath!"

10. kain preacher

@By Chris G

The money is pay to the swiss and then the swiss pays castro. castro has refused payments for the last 15 years

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Cuba

If Cuba swarmed Gitmo on Monday, the US would be discussing what to name the 51st state on Tuesday.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

that'll do nicely

nice little earner for the Swiss banks then

13. Feargal Reilly
    Stop

Nice little earner?

The "rent" that the US lodges is $4085 per year - for 45 square miles. I guess it's paid for a painting or two in some bank lobby.

This topic is closed for new posts.