back to article Tim Burton to shoot 3-D Alice in Wonderland

Director Tim Burton has signed a deal with Walt Disney Studios to produce two 3-D films, kicking off with a version of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. The film will, Variety explains, combine "performance-capture imagery" - currently wowing the crowd in Beowulf - and live-action footage. Linda Wolverton of The Lion King …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash

Sweeney Todd?

The guy who kills customers at his barber shop? How are they putting finishing touches on it if i've already seen it?!

As long as they don't use Whoopi Goldberg as the base for rendering the Cheshire Cat, we'll be safe...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What kind of 3D?

Whenever I hear about one of these 3D films I wonder what kind of 3D it is going to be in. If it's the colour separation one then that's hopeless; there's a separation technique using glasses with different polarisation in each lens that the Disneyland attraction "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" uses.

Hopefully it will be that one. It's not too painful to watch when you don't have stereoscopic vision.

3. Tony
    Unhappy

Great...

I'm sure this will be great, but where the hell is the film adaptation of American McGee's Alice?

4. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Up

Good.

Burton is about the only person qualified to produce a decent new take on Alice. And yes, I'd love a good pinch of American McGee in it too.

5. triky
    Heart

frankenweenie and syndromes !

i loved frankenweenie when i was a kid... it had an eerie kind of attraction to it but it was wicked !

on Alice in Wonderland, I can't bloody wait. loved the books, couldnt get enough of the, had AWS syndrome as a kid... it just couldnt get any better that Burton's giving it a go ! brilliant..

6. Andrew Moore

@Duncan Ellis

All the 3d doing the rounds now is polarised rather than anaglyth- see Tim Burtons Nightmare Before Christmas 3d for instance,

7. AndyC

Base it on the book - please?

Hopefully they base it on the book and not the adaptations, book is so much more surreal and in a way sinister. Recommend reading both "through the looking glass" and "adventures in wonderland"... Great reads...

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/metastuff/looking/lookingdir.html

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-table.html

8. Steven Cox

Johny Depp

Ok, lets place our bets now for which character Mr Burton will get his old friend Johny Depp to play....

my guess, the Mad Hatter

9. anthony bingham

I thought Burtons made Biscuits!

Alice in 3D [ must be cup size] sounds like a Fig Roll for Angelina Jolie !

10. Sampler
    Joke

Oh great

Guess she'll have scissors for hands or something then..

11. this

The trouble with 3D cinema

is that its an exhausting and nauseating experience for the viewer. The sense of alienation from the action caused by movement of the viewing point decreases rather than increases any dramatic experience. A fairground ride perhaps, but any dramatic content is drained. Theatre works in 3D, because the viewpoint is fixed and can be tuned out allowing the brain to concentrate on the drama.

By the way, your spell checker thinks I spelled Theatre incorrectly, where did you get it?

12. Jon Teda
    Pirate

Post Modern Poser

Dear Tim,

Whoever art directs your movies is wonderful. If it is you then perhaps you can stay in the field of art direction.

I Still Want My Money Back From Planet Of The Apes.

13. Eric Olson
    Thumb Up

The 3D referred to...

Is something that was first used in a motion picture for the adaptation of Polar Express (to my knowledge). Not sure if that made it across the pond or not. Now Beowulf, which I saw today, did have sections that looked like they were designed for use in a 3D theater complete with glasses, but it was not required. I actually didn't quite catch that until a friend pointed it out.

The only issue thus far with this "performance-capture imagery" is that it's close enough to looking real that you can tell it is not. It's kind of an odd feeling, and I think they haven't gotten the facial expression part down pat, yet. Much, to my perception, is based on the lighting and action. There were parts that you forgot you were watching animation, and just assumed it to be real actors. The arguement for it, that I see, is that it allows the director to keep that fantastic, whimsical feeling, without having the mix live action and CGI. The continuity is better, so that both Beowulf and Grendel look to be in the same plane of existence, for lack of a better description.

BTW, Sweeney Todd looks great, so it will be fun to see that one when it comes out at Christmas (in the States). Odd timing, I'd have to say, but it is Tim Burton.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

@Tony

Agreed. That sounds like the way things are heading. I probably won't be surprised if it credits Americna McGee as the script writer.

15. Angela
    Paris Hilton

@ Tony

It was my understanding that this IS the American McGee take on Alice in Wonderland. It would certainly fit with Tim Burton's MO, but fingers crossed...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Johnny Depp

And what part with Mrs Burton get? HBC is a little too old to play Alice now, Queen of Hearts maybe?

This topic is closed for new posts.