back to article Dell prices up all-on-one XPS desktop

Dell is still promoting its all-in-one consumer desktop the XPS One as "coming soon", but that hasn't stopped it getting ready for the big day with a webpage full of specs and prices. The PC giant has four standard models with starting prices ranging from $1499 to $2399. All four sport a 20in display, 2GB of 667MHz DDR 2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

PC world finally catches up

Apple have been doing all in one machines for ages.

But all their machines not have decent 3D graphics, not integrated graphics like this does.

2. Nick Haw
    Happy

Nagware...

The nagware line really tickled me... Thanks for the friday afternoon frivolity!

3. Tone

But all their machines not have decent 3D graphics

So Giles, you are telling us the apple all in one's dont have decent 3D graphics.. interesting.

4. Barry Rueger

Shame....

"But all their machines not have decent 3D graphics, not integrated graphics like this does."

... the Mac doesn't have grammar checker.

Also, there have been PC All-in-one machines for ages.

http://www.vartechsystems.com/products/panelpc/LargeScreenAllinOneComputers.asp

5. Nexox Enigma

Bleh

The reason the 'PC world' (Does Apple not make personal computers?) took so long to catch up is because all in one computers more or less suck.

And the reason that the iMacs all have nice video cards is because OS X needs a fair amount of graphics power to perform nicely.

Dunno about anyone else, but I've always liked the ability to mix and match parts. If you want an all in one computer, you might as well just get a laptop.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

it a media box

Its a mediacenter box designed for the do more for less crowd. Its not designed for gaming like the rest of the xps line. Its basically for giving media center to people that don't like computer because of all the other devices you have to have for you standard setup. As far as the all in one box this is actually the second time dell has tried this. the first time was a awhile back and they spent tons of money developing it and it was a disaster. This time they're just going with off the shelf parts to "test the waters" if you will. Its basically a 1400 tv/dvr

7. davebarnes

Not to sound like an Apple fanboy

But, I am an Apple fanboy and I don't understand Dell's pricing.

The iMacs are actually less money and better performance.

8. Mike

@davebarnes

Stewey: Did you know that Brad Pitt is John Lithgow's nephew?

Brian: No, is that true?

Stewey: No, but doesn't that sound like something that could be true?

9. Steve Scott
    Happy

Watch this space...

Merging of devices is getting closer. Won't be long now before we can buy a combination TV/PC/Console/DVD/BluRay/HD/DVR/MP3/DivX/GPS/Oven/Microwave/ATM device.

And then of course, Apple will come up with a portable one with a touchscreen and a hefty monthly contract...

10. sleepy

"The end of the PC as you know it."...

...says Dell's web site. Why have Dell been keeping this bad news from their shareholders and customers?

Dell would also like to help you to spam your friends and family soliciting Dell gift contributions via Paypal for Christmas. In fact they'll spam your whole hotmail/Yahoo/gmail address book for you:

http://yoursishere.com

11. Morely Dotes
    Thumb Down

Vista? Forget it!

If they can't provide a decent OS, they can't sell it to me. Guess I'll get a Mac after all.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I WANT ONE!!!!

But only if I can have it running XP... or even Linux...?

:-)

13. Richard Kilpatrick
    IT Angle

Two bits of bad news?

First - I've got this horrible suspicion that the existence of this system is why the exquisite XPS M2010 (yes, I do have one, and yes, it is wonderful - not in a "this is a great laptop" way, but in a "this is a great computer for pretty much everything I do" way) hasn't been updated to Santa Rosa architecture, but is still on sale with the older chipset.

Second - what was that about Apples being expensive? In the Real World, most computer consumers (i.e. not businesses with IT professionals wanting to fix/tinker, or nerds building their systems, or hardcore gamers) never crack open their PC. In fact, many are afraid to do so. The iMac is a very strong seller - perhaps if Dell have got this right (it LOOKS better than the All-in-one Vaios, but how thick is it? Does it bulge like they do?) then this willl be a credible and more comparable system to the iMac, though it does cost more.

The new shape iMacs are incredibly nice. I have the older one, and I'm very envious of the new aluminium case/glass screen design - I missed it by three months and needed a machine RIGHT NOW. The better chipset doesn't bother me so much, as I'll have that in my MacBook Pro.

14. E

Style over substance

At the $2400 mark, you get adequate graphics for games or 3D work. Yet, my local white-box reseller provides quad-core Intel, 8600GT and 2 GB RAM + monitor for about $1200.

So I could buy one of these things, or I could buy an Apple. Neither one contains terribly great machinery for the money, they both just look nice.

For my money the Apple looks better - brush metal always turns me on.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

1 Differentiator vs. iMac is the TV

The Dell system is also a 720P HD TV and DVR. While you can't play hardcore PC games on it, the 6550 dual core processor, 2gb memory, and 500GB HDD can handle any type of PC task for 90% of the all-in-one pc users.

16. andy rock
    Happy

i love...

...that thread became a PC vs. Apple rant!

17. Stuart Van Onselen
    Joke

On day...

...they'll be discussing an article on hermaphroditic fish that can survive out of water, and even *that* will eventually decend into an Apple vs PC rant.

It hasn't yet, but keep watching. It's like Godwin's law, it will happen eventually.

18. Stuart Van Onselen

Apologies...

... for my typos and p-poor speeling. My last comment hurts even my eyes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like