back to article Acer taps out yet more tablets

Acer's 10.1in Iconia Tab A500 wasn't the only tablet the PC giant announced this week: it also took the wraps off a 7in Android-based alternative and a second ten-incher, this one running Windows. The W500 will come with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit runing on a 1GHz AMD C-50 chip with integrated Radeon graphics. Acer has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Down

With a spec like that...

The other [without cost] accessory it comes with is a battery life of approximately 2 hours.

2. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

but the W500 will retail for £449 - or £529 with a bundled keyboard accessory.

If or when I buy a tablet, it will have to cost less than a laptop.

1. lou

If it sounds like a laptop, smells like a laptop and looks like a laptop...

Surely running Windows, with an HDD and a detachable keyboard it's a bit of a stretch to put it in the same category as 'tablets'?

Seems to me it's a touchscreen laptop with a wireless keyboard!

I bet the 'droid version with no SSD, no windows tax and better battery life will outsell it 10 to 1.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price point, price point, price point

When will all these me-too tablet makers realise the sweet spot is around £130-199 for a 10inch capacitive screen wi-fi tablet. Otherwise you're just knuckle-balling against Apple. There's huge volume potential because people will buy more than one if the price is right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Under £200...

Is budget tablet territory. There are already plenty of them out there and you're welcome to try them but I'll tell you something first. For that price, you're getting exactly what you're paying for, budget crap. Resistive screen, no GPS, no 3G, Android 1.x without Google experience messes.

For under £200 a good spec tablet cannot be manufactured, marketed and sold, good parts just ain't that cheap.

4. Whitter
    Thumb Down

Specs

A camera on the back of a 10" tablet screams

"I never thought this through".

Much like the price point.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    FAIL

These tablets would look very sexy

At half the price and with something other than Mac, Windows, or Google controlling the interface, and whatever goes on behind the scenes...

6. Mark .

Tablets vs Netbooks

"Surely running Windows, with an HDD and a detachable keyboard it's a bit of a stretch to put it in the same category as 'tablets'?"

I don't see why tablets and netbooks are counted as separate categories in the first place. We're going to see tablets with keyboards, and netbook/laptops with touchscreens already exist. You can run Android on netbooks, and we're going to see Windows on tablets.

We don't separate phones into categories depending on whether they have a touchscreen or not, after all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sticking to my Netbook

I'll stick with my Acer netbook-10" is a great screen size but there's no way I'd want to go any smaller and especially not at twice the price !! The netbook does what it says on the tin and that's good enough for me !!

8. Goat Jam
    Boffin

"I want a tablet that is just like an ipad but with Windows"

I am genuinely interested in seeing how that Windows one sells.

It sort of looks like a (heavier) ipad but it has the "comfortable and familiar" Windows with its "millions of applications" on it. This is important because this is what many fanboys will tell you is what everyone needs in a tablet to get any real work done.

So here it is, the much vaunted "Windows Ipad".

I assume the battery life is less than stellar due to the required hardware specs and it will likely be slow to boot but you have to expect that with Windows on x86. You also have to expect premium pricing for the same reason and we've got that here for sure.

So, will this sell like hotcakes or be left in the dust by the "lesser" tablets running Android on ARM even though they don't have the "comfort of Windows" and "millions of applications"?

Interesting times indeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like