back to article NASA's Stardust braves cometary flak

NASA's Stardust spacecraft has survived a close encounter with comet Tempel 1, during which it took a few substantial hits from cometary flak. The craft passed within 111 miles of the comet at 20:40 p.m. PST on 14 February (04:40 GMT on 15 February), and has returned some impressive photos of the distant body. Four views of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Impact site before and after

Hmmm, doesn't look like much of a crater to me, are they sure those arrows shouldn't be pointing to that bloody great hole just to the left.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Space Boffinery 1

Flat Earthers 0

Yay!

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Are the sure it's a crater?

Looks more like one of those damn pictures of Jesus that keep appearing on my toast.

4. Steven Knox
    Joke

Before and After pictures

So the effect of spacecraft impact on a comet is that the comet becomes more blurry?

5. Luther Blissett

Luther does science (for a change)

Method:

1. Take 1 Opera (sorry for the product placement)

2. Key Shft+'+ ' a few times

3. Pick up one wooden ruler, calibrated in mmmmm

4. Read length of scale bar. Record reading

5. Read diameter of crater. Record reading

Results:

Scale bar = 22mm +/-1mm

Crate = 5mm +/-0.5mm

Conclusion:

Windoze Notepad says crater is 45.454545454545454545454545454545m in diameter (not 150m)

Surmise: Is this why the new pictures are warm and fuzzy? Observe further: not a single occurrence of 'ice' in the whole item. Seriously, isn't this a falsification of the 'snowy dirtball' model of comets? "We saw a lot of new things that we didn't expect, and we'll be working hard to figure out what Tempel 1 is trying to tell us." Would that be hard as in maths, or hard as in rock?

1. Beachrider

What about the "200 m" bar right next to the crater?

I don't know about Luther's calculation. My simple-country-boy approximation of the crater size to the 200m marking in the picture makes 150m much more likely than 45m.

Am I misreading something?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like