back to article iXtreamer dock with IPTV

If you’re an iDevice owner and fancy hooking it up to your telly – but would rather not pay £80 for the rather basic combination of Apple’s Universal Dock equipped with component or composite cables – then the iXtreamer is one option that stands out from the multitude of iThing third party docking systems. Xtreamer iXtreamer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

xstreamer

Don't ask for support/a fix/to return or refund for this company. They have a tendency to shoot the messenger and paint over the cracks.

They have lied about the tech specs, failed to deliver products but keep the money. They have failed to prove themselves and try to change their identity every few years, formally Unicorn in the EU, watch what you wish for, if its too good to be true, it probably is.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    WTF?

I'm confused

The reviewer claims that when playing from a network- or USB-attached DVD player, the quality is "as good as any standalone player I've ever used". And yet according to page 1 this dock only outputs at 480i. Is there some sort of upscaling not mentioned in the article, or has the reviewer simply never used a decent DVD player?

3. Red Dwarf
    Boffin

Can anyone confirm ...

Can anyone confirm whether this will output composite video from an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch which will work on a CRT TV?

4. Daniel Owen

Why 10/100?

The 480i output is when outputting a clone of IOS (at least that's how I read it)

Output of other media will be up to 1080p

Why is a gigabit port of any use to media streaming device? To stream media that's over 100Mbps? And where would that content come from?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gigabit because...

it's a NAS too?

5. Bronek Kozicki
    Grenade

I ordered Xtreamer but cancelled the order next day ...

... after I have read the following, on the official forums http://forum.xtreamer.net/topic/18634-jukebox-and-xtreameting-issues-a-call-for-developers (copying most telling part below since official announcements are for members only, doh):

(2) Jukebox and xtreamering Development We have no control, no interest to control and no way to answer you regarding bug fixing of these projects.

... and yet both the Jukebox and xtreamering functionality are used in marketing and referred to by most reviews of variants of Xtreamer I've seen. Eventually I decided to buy something with more-user friendly support (and more features) and ordered HDI Dune Smart D1.

6. RichyS
    Thumb Down

Why

For the media angle, why would anyone buy this over the much cheaper and better (for the media stuff) Apple TV?

You get a much better interface, can use the iThingy as a remote or use AirPlay.

Okay, so you don't get a 'bring your own disc' NAS box, but I reckon you could buy a capable one for the price difference.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like