back to article Schmidt promises to get 'permission' before taking over our world

Eric Schmidt wants us to love the Earth more, and tells us that the more information we share with Google the easier that will be – all with our permission of course. Google's CEO mentioned our permission nine times during his keynote presentation at the congress yesterday, almost every point made was bracketed with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I don't understand the point being made

"Google Translate will prevent wars by enabling cultural understanding.

But machine translation isn't a cultural exchange, only able to convey the most-basic of meanings even when it works."

1) The way you describe it, Schmidt doesn't seem to have said that Google Translate is cultural exchange, just that it enables it. You seem to be making a point of contradicting a point that hasn't been made.

2) Is there a missing word or words between "exchange" and "only"? The first half of the sentence doesn't seem to flow into the second.

Or have I totally misunderstood?

1. Ian McNee
      Troll

Sense of humour transplant please nurse...

Bill was taking the rise (and rather well I thought) - comprende?

2. John Lilburne
    Stop

Eric Schmidt Is A Liar

Someone links one of your images onto google maps/street view in order to promote their business and its is impossible to get it removed. You end up having to break the URL which may be being used on numerous non-commercial sites. There is no way of contacting any Google cunt, and they don't respond to takedown requests.

1. AC-This-Isn't-Facebook

tit-le

"There is no way of contacting any Google cunt"

What a line - thanks for that, you owe my employer a new keyboard!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I remember the good old days ...

.... when using the C word got you a personal message from Her Fearsome Majesty asking you to play nice with the inbox filters.

Now, it's C this, C that, I'm a C, you're a C, your mother's a C and her C's a C to boot. Is this the Chinese Year of the Cunt or something?

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Schmidt can take a long walk on a short pier!

"more information we share with Google the easier that will be"

You mean just like a Chinese finger-trap, the harder you fight the tighter it gets?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Enjoy Breathe-O-Smart

Points for anyone who gets this reference and see why it applies.

PS - We have Bill, We have Steve, surely a googlesque icon is becoming mandatory?

5. Ted Treen
    Coat

The old Classical adage

"Beware of Geeks bearing gifts..."

Mine's the one with the wooden horse in the pocket

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Google already have too much information.

YouTube managed somehow to link my account with a cancelled virgin media email address held by my ex when we lived in another city 6 years ago.

There was no way to stop them popping up a message asking me to enter the password for that email address every time I logged in so I deleted the account.

Anyone who trusts that company is a fool.

7. Jim Coleman
    Grenade

Android

...and that, my friends, is why we should avoid Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: Android

I agree with Jim.

How did Google manage to promote Android as "open source", knowing that key components of this spyware operating system, such as phone and messaging, remain closed?

El Reg, we may need a "Schmidt as a devil" icon.

8. Turtle

Wondering. . .

Sometimes I wonder who is more sociopathic: Schmidt (and those other two assholes), or Jobs. Probably Schmidt (and those other two assholes), I think, because whereas Jobs does pay for content, Google just steals everything it can.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Schmidt is bad, but unfortunately Jobs is worse

And as I sure as hell am not going near Nokia, WP7 or Palm/HP, I've pretty much had to choose the least of two evils, when buying a phone.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rather reminds me of those 50s SF stories

in which top scientists spend year upon year fitting out giant caverns with rank upon rank of valves, all in the name of removing everyday drudgery from human existence, along with banishing war, poverty and all that other nastiness.

None of those stories end terribly well for anyone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like