back to article UK, Oz won't get latest AMD ThinkPad

Lenovo has given its European and Australian ThinkPad fans the finger by refusing to allow them to buy its upcoming AMD-based ThinkPad X120e sub-notebook. Lenovo launched the 11.6in laptop at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, and it's currently listed on the company's US website as "coming soon". It's due to go …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Levente Szileszky

Apparently it's been postponed to March...

...even in the US:

http://www.gizmocrave.com/4950-lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-delayed-us-sales-to-start-only-on-march-8/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-wont-ship-until-march-8th/

2. Gary Wood
    Thumb Up

But ..

We get faster core i3 models instead that aren't sold in the US/those other markets. Know which i'd go for.

3. Alfred
    Coat

Just how bad _was_ the U.S. financial collapse?

First time in a long time I've seen the U.S. referred to as an emerging market for consumer tech.

4. MarcusCole
    FAIL

Bloody typical

they pulled the same trick with the dual-core amd thinkpad edge 11, the best model in the range announced to tease us then WHOOPs! sorry you can't order it.

having keenly waited on the x120e after being disappointed with the above Lenovo have pushed me towards a competitor. If anyone knows where one can acquire a 11.6 Zacate note/net/notbook here in the UK I would love to know.

Well done to Marketing and the PR droids who whipped up the frenzy of interest - Major fail to the beancounters who want to fob the UK and europe off with last years model to clear stocks.

5. xperroni
    Unhappy

Passive / agressive relationship, PC-style

In some senses Lenovo is the Apple of PC's: great kit, but blissfully oblivious to consumers. Before catching wind of the impending x120e I was looking for a x100e, and no matter what I tried, couldn't get Lenovo – or any of their certified sales partners – to shift me one. Apparently it's marketed as "business-only" around here in Brazil, so it only sells to companies – no private people need apply, no sir.

While I had lost all hope on official channels, I was confident I would in time be able to get a x120e on the gray market, and on a reasonable price at that – but now I'm not so sure. The x100e is at least officially sold around here, so I figure any bloke can open a company (even if just on paper), help themselves to some, and then flush the things on online auction sites – a sort of "light gray" market, if you will. But if it will only be available abroad, then it's serious gray – and serious price.

Oh well, what are Dell's offerings for this year again?

6. Steve Renouf
    Boffin

Ermmm... They can't actually stop you from buying one

"ThinkPad buffs can take a look at the ThinkPad X120e's specifications here, and dream whistfully about what they'd do with the machine if Lenovo would only let them buy one... ®"

Ermmm... They can't actually stop you from buying one, they can only stop it getting to you through the normal channels. If you happen to be in a country where they are sold and you buy one there, it is yours - it belongs to you - to do with whatever you wish - including taking it back home with you. Oh look! See! You can buy one!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

This would be a nice opportunity for the EC

to grill them thoroughly and maybe impose them a fine for anti-consumer behavior.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"available in North America, China and other emerging market countries"

Made me smile anyway.

9. Mark 65

UK/Oz

I think with the state of VAT and the Aussie dollar (and local pricing) both are more likely to get such a machine from the US anyway.

10. Goat Jam
    Pint

Yeah

We (Australia) are used to being shafted by these companies. We are the dumping ground for all their failed products and cheap knockoffs. We didn't even see the G1 being offered her until *after* it was discontinued by google.

Beer, because at least we have the good stuff in that area.

11. Taint
    Alert

On The Other Hand,,,

The UK may not be getting the x120e, but we will be getting the Ideapad S205 which the Americans are not.

The S205 is basically the x120e in a more consumer friendly chassis and also arriving in March. So are we really losing out?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

S205 vs x120e

This American would rather have the S205. Since it will not be sold in the USA, I'll be looking instead to buy something from ASUS or MSI when their Fusion laptops become available.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Well...

I wouldn't want a Lenovo anyway. After being around to sell their early consumer Lenovo models here in Aus and watch them either be returned or fail on display, good riddance.

1. xperroni
      Heart

Remember the S10!

I don't know about their earlier offerings, but I bought an S10 in 2009 and I love the thing. Specs, size and battery life are just right, the keyboard is very confortable, and the design is just beautiful, in a geeky industrial way. It has been acting a little strange recently, after I almost killed it by unadvertently shoving it into my backpack turned on, so I have been looking for a replacement – but try as I may, I just can't bring myself to buy one of the current breed of glossy-cased, girly-looking netbooks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like