back to article Supermarket blows £70m on kid-commerce site

Supermarket Morrisons is spending £70m on buying Kiddicare.com - a UK-based website which flogs stuff for kids and babies. Morrisons said the big buy was just a first step into developing its ecommerce business. The site will continue to function as a stand-alone site run by Scott and Elaine Weavers-Wright. The company turned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trev 2

Are they buying the shop too?

If they're buying the web site and that generates 80% of business, does that mean they're also buying the shop or are the original owners keeping 20% turnover for themselves?

I know setting up an ecommerce web site would cost a bit, but are they absolutely sure it's worth spending £70m on an existing site? Don't see Tesco's doing that - when they want to do something they just seem to set it up themselves, like Tesco Direct. Noteably, they seem to make a lot more money than Morrisons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a site

They're not buying a site. They're buying a business, with existing customers. I could build them a site, but it wouldn't come with £37.5m of turnover.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seventy-five percent growth

I think a significant contribution towards that 75% growth is due to two factors: being told three years ago that my wife was pregnant; and her PayPal account...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like