back to article Start-up aims nanotube memory at iPods, phones and servers

The thought of introducing filthy carbon nanotubes into an ultra-sensitive fab has blocked the rise of so-called NRAM or Nano Random Access Memory. Thanks, however, to a refined cleansing process and relentless browbeating start-up Nantero thinks it has mainstream semiconductor players close to giving NRAM a try. In fact, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Morely Dotes
    Coat

Hell of a sales position open...

"While NRAM sounds lovely, other companies are working on competing technology such as FeRAM (ferroelectric RAM), MRAM (magnetic) and PRAM (phase-change)."

No, really. A sales position that requires you to tell people, "I have to push the PRAM a lot?"

Black leather, a little worn on the shoulders and elbows, thanks...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ferro-electric RAM?

Like tiny magnetic core memory?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mp3 players

Don't you mean "mp3 players" or "portable media players". you don't call sound cards "sound blasters" do you?

Somehow i doubt apple will do it first. they wait for something to become a commodity before they use it.

4. Solomon Grundy

van der Waals forces??

Isn't that the same thing that makes my gecko suit work?

5. Dave
    Go

Carbon footprint

Given that 2 out of every 3 Reg stories at the moment are about how amazing carbon nanotubes are, does this mean that we will end up having to somehow produce more carbon?

The memory could potentially be free as other companies pay to offset their emmissions to these guys who have negative footprints :o)

6. Robert Ramsay

Stopping global warming

just turn all the carbon dioxide into nanotubes and oxygen, and the world's computers become a carbon sink to rival the Amazon rainforest (which will be about the size of my garden at this point)

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"carbon nanotubes bought from a variety of suppliers"

They must be the only people in the world where tweezers and magnifying glasses are necessary tools of the trade for the Goods Inwards staff and if anyone drops a package, the whole place assumes a mosque-like appearance.

8. Mark Henry
    Go

Title

If the NRAM play works, Nantero expects the memory to replace, Flash, DRAM and hard disks. "Possible uses include...... MP3 players with 1000s of songs, ......... the company says on its web site.

WOW 1000s of songs on an MP3 player I can hardly wait no more carrying round three MP3 players for me! This cutting edge technology stuff is great

9. Anonymous John
    Happy

Wait until

someone invents Copper nanotube RAM.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ahh who cares! nobody slays giants anymore.

... When you're still "emerging" at a show where cutting edge technology is commonplace, then there's plenty of room between your company and broad acceptance.

In the same way that theres plenty of room between David & Goliath? seriously if they can deliver what they claim then I bet theres afew Giants checking there underwear. I suspect however that were more likly to see them getting in bed with each other and producing 20 variants on the child of frankestien model to guarantee a good 20 years income. Afterall, as the business mantra goes, why on earth would you give it away today when theres money to be made tommorrow and the day after???

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like